Which Options Ensure a Better Complexion for African American Skin?

I have dark acne scars and hyperpigmentation on my face. I would like to gain a more even skin tone and lighten my dark spots. How can I do this effectively? Which procedures are recommended for African Americans?

Acne Scarring and Dark Skinned individuals

+1

Fractional resurfacing is being used more often with darker skin patients. Chemical peels are also an option. Being conservative is the most important thing for people of color. Hypopigmentation is the thing that people are most concerned about getting.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Even skin tone for African Americans

+1

I use chemical peels all the time to even out darker skin patients with hyperpigmentation and uneven skin tone.  Chemical peels work really well.  Just make sure the doctor has a lot of experience with darker skin colors.

Rebecca Baxt, MD
Paramus Dermatologist

Fraxel Dual Laser for acne scarring in African Americans

+1

Fraxel dual laser treatment might ideally help your situation. The 1550 nm component of the laser is used to treat acne scars in darker skinned individuals while the 1927 nm component should improve the dark spots and contribute towards an even skinned tone. You might have to use topical  medications in addition to these measures. Discuss these options with your dermatologist

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon