What Options Are Available to a Young Mom with a Limited Budget? (photo)

I am a 24 y/o single mom of a 3 year old. I'm 5'3 and 120lbs, which is the skinniest I've ever been, but my stomach is like a deflated balloon and my butt is bumpy and boobs are small and saggy. I diet and exercise but I'm afraid of losing the good curves! I have no disposable income except for my generous tax return. I want to do SOMETHING to look and feel better. Do I have any options? P.S. In these pictures I am PMS-ing and bloated. I weighed 119 this morning and 116 two days ago.

Mommy Makeover

+1

I would continue with the exercise regimen to tone the abdominal wall as your skin laxity and diastasis issues are modest.  Breasts cannot be improved with exercise, and breast augmentation with saline implants may be done for $4500.

There are things that we can control and things that we cannot

+1

Thank you for the question and photos.  We can loose weight and build muscle but we cannot tighten up skin through diet or exercise.  You may see additional improvement with an increase in muscle mass and tone.  It is reasonable to be able to bounce back most of the way after having one child.  A full tummy tuck is always an option but if you are trying to minimize cost I think it is more than reasonable for you to give it some more time and work on building your core and gain additional muscle mass.  Once you have done so you can reassess the need for surgical correction.  A full tummy tuck will cost about 8k so you can use that time to save up if needed.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

You are a Mommy Makeover Candidate

+1

I would recommend a tummy tuck for you to remove some of the excess abdominal skin but more importantly to tighten your abdominal muscles. I believe you are also a good candidate for a breast augmentation to add volume and fullness. A saline or silicone implant under the muscle would provide a nice shape for  your breasts. I think these two procedures would give you the optimal "mommy makeover" that you are seeking. If done together, you could definitely save money on anesthesia and facility fees.  Goodluck!

David Rankin, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover options

+1

You appear to be a great candidate for several procedures, but they are not low cost... I recommend saving up for procedures that give good results and avoiding spending your money on "less invasive" options that will not give you much bang for your buck.

Once you have maxed out your results from diet and exercise, you would likely get great improvement from a mommy makeover. You could do this in stages or in one procedure, depending on budget and timing. A breast augmentation would restore volume to your breasts. You do not appear to need a lift. Liposuction of your hips would help your shape and improve the curve of your lower back, giving your buttocks better definition. A tummy tuck would help flatten your tummy significantly.

Meet with a board certified plastic surgeon and they will help you put together a plan to help you.

Michael Vennemeyer, MD

Michael Vennemeyer, MD
Southlake Plastic Surgeon

The Mommy Makeover Does Not Have To Happen At One Time!

+1

Thinking about making yourself feel better will, in the long run, give you more psychological energy to spend on your child.  Believe it or not, you are in a great place.  You are young.  From your comments, I assume you are healthy.  From your pictures, you are a good surgical candidate when the time comes to have surgery. 

The Mommy Makeover does not have to be an event.  It can be and often is a process.  Now is the time to do your homework/research.  Have several consultations with Board Certified plastic surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  These are exploratory consultations only.  I recommend you get the prices from each surgeon but do not discuss your economic situation.  Don't go bargain shopping at this time.  Once you have several consultations covering several body part rejuvenations, then take them home and think about them. 

This may lead to a wish list for you and can also lead to goal setting.  What you want is the best possible surgery on each body part from the best possible plastic surgeon in your area. 

I am a firm believer that cosmetic surgery can be a great esteem builder, but only if done right by a truly talented and caring plastic surgeon.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover on a budget

+1

PrincessInTraining: Consider what attributes you have after pregnancy: no stretchmarks, relatively little abdominal skin laxity and hip fat deposits, slender limbs and minor breast sagginess.  Being a single mom, you may not have either much disposable income and/or time for a surgical mommy makeover however you could tone and trim yourself with relatively little cost.  PMS is a monthly but temporary aberration but if you can work on improving your core, posture and strength with something as simple as yoga.  I practice 3-4 times a week and have derived a lot of benefits.  Namaste! 

Lavinia Chong, MD

Low Cost Options for Mommy Makeover?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I would suggest that you avoid  “mommy makeover” surgical procedures until you are sure that you have completed having pregnancies. I would also suggest that you be in a psychosocially and financially stable place before undergoing elective surgery.

Be careful about “low-cost” options; keep in mind that complications can occur (despite best efforts)  and may be associated with additional expenses.  When the time is right, make sure you seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of the work and select your plastic surgeon based on quality/safety priorities.

Low Budget Options

+1

Thank you for the helpful photos.

When you are in better financial shape, consider surgery.

What strikes me is how much improvement you will get if you work on your posture and muscle tone -  a great investment and affordable - either at home with weights and stretching or in a local gym. With strong muscles your head will go up, your shoulders back, your legs straighten - you will present yourself as the Princess you aim to be. Best wishes. 

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Options for a Limited Budget

+1

Based on your pictures and the information you provided, I assume your abdomen and breasts are the areas of concern. Given your age, possibility of future children, and financial status, it may be better to wait until you are sure that you are done having children before considering an abdominoplasty. A breast augmentation may be done now and give a better feeling. However, if as a single mom, you have financial concerns, you may be better off saving money now and revisiting plastic surgery when your financial situation allows of this. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Mommy Makeover

+1

Hello Princess

Based on the pictures posted, if you desire a bigger breast with more fullness in the upper pole, then Breast Augmentation with implants, shaped implants may be appropriate for you because you have empty upper pole and breasts sitting low on the chest.(Shaped Implants are more expensive)

If the abdomen is bothering you then consider a tummy tuck. With or without lipo. That is determined through discussion with you and what body shape you like. Discuss each of these surgeries the price, the complications and risks before the surgery. Then you can make an informed decision.