What is the Best Option for an Old (Pink) Surgical Scar?

I have 2 surgical scars on the side of my neck from 4 years ago that are still pink. Recently I went to a laser clinic and have gotten 5 PDL treatments with the V-beam. It has worked alot on flattening the scars. The redness is slowly improving somewhat.

Should I continue these V-beam treatments? Or does it take longer to get rid of redness in older scars seeing as I have already gotten 5. If not, what other options would you reccomend for treatment? Sorry for so many questions!

Treating redness and pinkness of a scar

+1

Pulsed dye laser can be effective in purpuric and non purpuric settings to improve redness and thickness of a scar.  Ask the clinician what settings they are using.

IPL Intense Pulsed Light is effective for old pink scars

+1

There are many options to treat red or pink scars. Pulsed Dye laser and Vbeam are both effective.

I use the Max G IPL or Intense Pulsed Light which is also effective and produces less bruising than the RPulsed Dye.

If the scar is bulky and raised I suggest the 1540 Fractional Erbium laser the newest most effective laser for treating scar bulk.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Laser treatment of scars

+1

Dear Jadia, Vbeam is one of my favorite lasers.  However, I make sure patients understand the one and only goal of a vbeam treatment is to get rid of redness.  If a scar is red and thick like a keloid, there may be some flattening/softening that takes place too.  There are many other factors that make scars unsightly, such as thickness, indentation, widening, or different colors than the surrounding skin.  Once the redness and "active" aspect of the scar has resolved, usually with 2-3 treatments, I would not expect to see any more benefit from the laser.  You might want to discuss other options with your physician.

Yoash R. Enzer, MD

Yoash R. Enzer, MD, FACS
Providence Oculoplastic Surgeon