Best Option for Loose Skin Around Mid-Section? (photo)

Thanks to regular exercise and a permanent change in my eating habits, I've lost 120 pounds over the last two years. I hit my target range two weeks ago with a weight of 164 pounds (I'm 5'9, 30 years old), but while I feel great, the loose skin around my lower abs and love handles is very disheartening. I've read that one should wait a year after weight loss to see how the skin adjusts, but I'm not very optimistic given how things look at the moment. What are my best options?

Tummy tuck would provide excellent resul

+1

Thank you for the question and excellent photos.  A tummy tuck would provide a excellent result.  The key will be to place the incision very low, not over tighten you, and keep the belly button incision on the inside of the belly button.  Since muscle tightening is not needed your recover should be fairly quick.  Also, since muscle tightening is not needed the lymphatics on top of the abdominal wall can be preserved and the use if a drain would be optional and if used very short.  You have a very good before and after photo in your future.  Good luck with the process.

Dr Remus Repta

Abdominoplasty is a good option for you

+1

Good work on your healthy weight loss program!  An abdominoplasty would be a nice reward for all your hard work.  After such a significant drop in weight, your skin is not going to shrink no matter how many more abs you do.  By removing the loose, excess skin, you will be able to appreciate your six-pack abs even more!

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Body Contouring Surgery is for you...

+1

Based on your photos, you will obtain your desired ideal outcome with either a mini-tummy tuck or a traditional tummy tuck.  Because your abs are good, you would not need the muscle plication perform of this procedure; only the skin resection.

Congratulations on your success!

Dr Leonard Tachmes

Leonard Tachmes, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Removing Loose Skin from Around the Abdomen

+1

The best way to address loose skin around the abdomen is with a tummy tuck, otherwise known as an abdominoplasty.  Depending on how much needs to be removed this can be a mini-tuck which involves a short incision just above the groin and addresses loose skin only in the lower abdomen or for more extensive laxity, incisions can sometimes extend to the back.  Based on the photos attached, a mini-abdominoplasty should successfully address your problem.

While laser liposuction is often touted as being able to tighten loose skin, its efficacy is only good for minimal tightening...like about an inch at most.  While effective in some people, it is often in the people who need it the least.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Best Option for Loose Skin Around Mid-Section?

+1

You are an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck, and the scar should be kept low and hidden under a swimsuit.  Whether a tummy tuck with an incision that ends at each hip is enough, or whether carrying the incision around to the back is needed, would depend on your physical examination and the amount of skin laxity along the hips and lower back.  You do not need any muscle repair, so recovery should be quicker.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Surgery after weight loss, body lift

+1

What a great set of abs! You have really worked hard to change you life, congratulations !! Based on your pictures a circumferential body lift is what you need. This 360 degree procedure removes loose skin from all the way around your body. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon who performs this procedure. In my hands with a good assistant it is a 5 hour procedure and you spend the night in the hospital and go home the next day.Good luck and keep up the strong work!

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck in Men

+1

Based on your pictures, it looks like you would benefit from a tummy tuck.  However, you likely would not need a muscle plication, so it would be a skin only procedure.  There are no non-invasive treatments or procedures which would give you enough skin tightening to achieve a nice result.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Hello

+1
Congratulations on losing the weight. The only way to get rid of excess skin is to do a dermalipectomy removal of abdomen skin. A man tummy tuck.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS