What is the Optimum Treatment for Marioneter Lines in the Corners of the Mouth?

I look great except for the marionetter lines at the corners of my mouth and the line indentation at my chin. What is the best and most lasting teating for these areas. Thanks Gayle

Best Treatment for Marionette Lines?

+2

Hi Bellevue.  We always hesitate to suggest a "best" treatment when it comes to injection products because each injector will have different opinions and preferences.

With that said, we tend to use Restylane more often than not around the chin, mouth and marionette lines.  Perlane, Juvederm and Radiesse are also good options.  Artefill can even be longer lasting, but you want to choose your injector carefully because of the long duration.  We might even suggest using Hyaluronic acid products first before moving onto a longer lasting filler like Radiesse or Artefill.

Botox or Dysport may also be an option for the corners of the mouth depending on the shape of the mouth. 

Radiesse or Artefill tend to last the longest for Marionette grooves.

+1

Radiesse (lasts 1 yr) or artefill (lasts 4-5 yrs) are good choices for the oral commissures/marionette grooves. Cost runs about $630/syringe for radiesse and $1000/syringe for artefill.  They can be done under local anesthesia and need 1-2 syringes in most cases.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Marionette lines

+1

Marionette lines often can be treated with some filler  like the hyaluronic acids and can give nice results for this deformity in most cases

Marionette lines

+1

Without photos or a face to face examination it is impossible to say what would be best in your case. Your available options include fillers and a facelift. For mild cases some doctors may recommend radiofrequency or thermage treatments or other non-invasisve treatments. I have been underwhelmed by the results of those treatments. Fillers are a temporary fix and are inadequate for more severe cases. I have not been happy with the small operations at the corners of the move as scars are quite visible in these areas. Facelift scars are much less noticeable.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Optimum Treatment for Marioneter Lines in the Corners of the Mouth?

+1

Treatment needs to be individualized to each patient's presentation, anatomy and goals. Mild depressions at the corner of the mouth may be raised and smoothed with a variety of fillers (Restylane, Perlane etc). If the corner of the mouth is pulled down creating a "sad face", the corner may be raised with careful Botox treatment of the chin muscles pulling the corners down (Depressor).

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter A Aldea