How Will I Get Optimal Coolsculpting Results? Thinner Vs. Thicker Treatment Areas (photo)

I am 5' 3", 118 lbs. I dropped 2 pounds thanks to diet/exercise and still trying to drop more fat and gain more muscle. I have a coolsculpting appointment in a month for my lower abdomen. I have always had a problem completing losing my lower abdomen pouch even when healthy but it does become smaller with diet and exercise. I am worried about jeopardizing the effectiveness of my coolsculpting treatment if my lower abdomen is too thin by the time of my appointment in a month. A pic is attached

Coolsculpting Candidate

+2

We use strict selection criteria in our practice for Coolsculpting candidates. We also , as a result, get consistent and excellent results. Every patient is different and the physician needs to grab the fat to see if the patient is ideal for treatment.

West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting for thin people

+1

CoolSculpting is actually quite effective for thin people with isolated areas of stubborn, excess fat. I don't think any physician would suggest that one gain weight prior to a CoolSculpting treatment. There are multiple handpieces of different sizes available to help determine which works best for you.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Optimal CoolSculpting Results

+1
CoolSculpting is not a weight loss solution for people who are obese, or a substitute for surgical methods such as liposuction. Good candidates have noticeable bulges in certain areas they’d like to get rid of. When you go in for your treatment, your doctor will determine if CoolSculpting is right for you.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

CoolSculpting and loss of abdomen fat

+1

In one month you will not lose so much fat that your abdomen is flat so  you would still be a candidate for CoolSculpting unless it is a forward protrusion of the abdominal muscle which would then indicate you would need an abdominoplasty / tummy tuck.  If you did somehow lose so much fat, then you wouldn't need CoolSculpting so it's not really an issue. The advantage of CoolSculpting is that as a non invasive procedure it can safely work on reducing fat when the fat bulge is much less than what would be needed as a minimum to do liposuction.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Coolsculpting Candidate

+1

Thank you for your question and photo.  From the photo, it looks like you may be a good candidate for this procedure.  You need to see if you can pinch the area of concern and if so, most likely the applicator will fit / suction properly and the area will be treated nicely.

After the procedure, expect to see 20-25% reduction in the treated area. It does take 8 weeks to see the results but patients are really liking this procedure.

Too thin for CoolSculpting?

+1

If you can pinch an inch on your tummy then after CoolSculpting you would be pinching 20 to 25% less.  Roughly speaking an inch of fat is reduced to 3/4 inch of fat.  It is great for in shape people with a desire for a little contouring.  Of course you should be evaluated at the time of treatment so that you can get personal and specific recommendations.

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon