Should I Opt for a Mini TT After 2 Successful Discectomies? I'm Very Active and Fit. (photo)

I've always been very athletic (16% body fat) but have unforgiving dry skin and gained 60 with both kids-I'm 140lb/5'8/32 yr. I've had breast aug., a partial hysterectomy, and two discectomies--all very quick recoveries. My abdominal muscles are still not tight despite my physical training for the past 7 years (youngest child's age). Would a mini TT do? I don't care about stretch marks or a mommy belly button but prefer no full TT scar! I just want the redundant lower abdominal skin gone.

Tummy Tuck After Back Surgery

+1

If one has a mini abdominoplasty versus a full abdominoplasty, you won’t have significant back pain. You will be bent over for about 3-5 days, this may accentuate back pain especially if you’ve had previous back pain. This usually subsides within 7-10 days.

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos.  A "Mini tuck" would be a total waste and the only thing you can benefit from is a full tummy tuck.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Mini tummy tuck ?

+1

Dear K,  Thank for submitting your pictures .  From your pictures, it appears that you have skin laxity in the upper and lower abdomen   as well as the pubic area. Additionally, the muscle laxity starts from the mid upper abdomen down to the pubic area. From your comment, it sounds that you care about your appearance and your fittness. In your situation, based on my 26 years of experience, you will not be happy with mini tummy tuck. It is true that your scar will be moderately longer, but your skin and muscle will be tight from the chest bone to the pubic bone and your waist will be narrower. Very importantly, as well, you might lose a significant weight due to the muscle tightening and your back might feel better due to the improvent in body posture. Mini tummy tuck will correct the bulge of the lower abdomen, but will create a bulge in the upper abdomen. Longer scar , done well and low, can be hidden , an unattractive abdomen can not. Consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.                                                                                                                 

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Should I Opt for a Mini TT After 2 Successful Discectomies? I'm Very Active and Fit.

+1

Either a short scar tummy tuck or a minitummy tuck with plication may be your two options.  This will depend upon the amount of skin you want removed.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

You are not a good candidate for a true short scar mini TT. You have extra lateral skin/fat so an extended scar mini TT would be an option. But a full TT would be a better idea. 

Should I Opt for a Mini TT

+1

Best answer would come after some give and take in a consultation. A mini-TT is a procedure that involves only the lower abdomen, below the navel. It does nothing above the navel, and therefore has limited applicability. It does not imply a short incision. The minimum incision would be up to the pelvic bone that you can feel about 2 inches beyond the end of the folded skin. 

If all you want is to tighten the loose skin, such a mini-TT would work. All the best.