I Need Opinions Please. Want to Know if my Surgeon Was Negligent? Or Maybe Even Inexperienced? (photo)

What Would U Have Done? had 3 eyelid surgeries done.the first end of may this yr,and the last 2 end of august.my surgeon was totally confused as to why my lid hadn't stayed up.he would get it set,show me,and once the bandages came off this is what i saw.gotten many replies from this site saying levator muscle,or tendon damage is the issue.so shouldn't he have known this?he hasn't mentioned it.just kept going in and failing.he literally threw up his hands in confusion.what should he have done after the first op failed?

More detail

+1

Unfortunately, without knowing exactly what type of eyelid surgery was done, and seeing your preoperative exam notes, its quite impossible for us to make a judgement on whether or not the procedures were appropriate. If you had ptosis repair [droopy eyelid repair] then it is not unusual to have complex and sometimes unsatisfying results.

A second opinion is in order however, and I would recommend contacting your surgeons office and requesting your entire medical records so that the next surgeon you see will have a good idea of what was done, so that he/she can figure out the next step to help you.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Revision Eyelid Surgery

+1

I appreciate the fact you're in a very frustrating situation, but it would difficult (if not impossible) to make a meaningful comment on what has been done. I think the best option for you now is to see an oculoplastic surgeon or plastic surgeon that focuses on eyelid surgery. 

Matthew Becker, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Unsuccessful eye surgery

+1

It is extremely difficult to give any advice based on your history or picture, but I think it is important to consider the possibility of a cause other than in the eye muscles after multiple failed surgeries.  It would not be unreasonable to perform an imaging study (brain MRI) to make sure there is no central neurologic cause.

Mark Glasgold, MD
Highland Park Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wow, that is an incredibly frustrating situation.

+1

I don't know the totality of the circumstance but you obviously have a problem.  I would recommend that you consider taking yourself to an oculoplastic surgeon practices in a University setting.  They tend to see very complicated situations and take your health insurance like everyone else.  Google you town or nearby major cities and that can help you find what you need.  Also the ASOPRS ( American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery ) website has a regional directory that can help.

Seek second opinion

+1

It is not really possible to make a relevant and meaningful comment based on a picture. I would suggest seeking a second opinion with an occuloplastic, facial plastic or general plastic surgeon with interest and expertise in eyelid procedures and work closely with your surgeon to facilitate best outcome. Surgery is never easy and the results are not ideal every time even in the best of hands.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon