Need Opinion on Possible Trauma to Breast Implant. Is It Likely to Be Ruptured?

I have had my silicone implants for a year. I have gone through some recent stress. This morning, I felt the pressure and decided to let it all out. I screamed really loud 2 times, which may or may not have put some trauma on my implants. I feel an acute pain, mild but noticeable, under one of my implants, near the incision. Is it possible to have ruptured my implant from screaming or more likely i pulled a muscle. I see my doctor in march, but do i need to act sooner?

Not likely but see your surgeon

+1
It is very unlikely that you ruptured your implant just from screaming alone. The pain you're feeling is most likely related to screaming and the stress you're feeling. However, it would be a good idea to see your surgeon just in case, since the area is in pain. All the best.

+1

Based on the description of the “trauma”  and the fact (presumably) that your breast  exam remains unchanged,  it is very unlikely that any harm was done by the adjustment.  In general, it would take significantly more force to cause breast implant rupture. Of course, for real peace of mind direct examination by your plastic surgeon will be necessary.

Implant rupture after a trauma

+1

Please don't worry!  Nowadays, implants are very well made.  Implants do not rupture/deflate from physical activities unless you have been in a major car accident where you sustained injuries to your ribs.  Most likely you pulled a muslce from screaming!

Sugene Kim, MD, FACS

Breast Implant Trauma? How strong are these things?

+1

Today's silicone breast implants are pretty sturdy devices. I had a friend of mine, who is a NFL lineman, try to rip one with his bare hands and he couldn't. Nonetheless, you ask a very common question . Activities like "wrestling" with your partner, taking an elbow during your roller derby game, or taking a fall while skiing are unlikely to rupture your silicone implants. However, if you have done enough damage to your body to cause tissue trauma, it's not a bad idea to see your plastic surgeon and get checked. An easy test to get is an ultrasound which can help visualize the implant and rule out tears. It's not an emergency, so try to take a deep breath (it may be hard with a torn pectoralis muscle), relax and get checked out. All the best.

Kenneth Bermudez, MD

Breast implant and trauma

+1

I agree with the other docs.  Most likely you pulled a muscle.

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD, MS

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Trauma and Implant Rupture

+1

Well I hope you feel better.  I agree with all that has been said...implants are pretty durable and even after car wrecks and airbag deployment I will see bruising and pain, but almost never an implant rupture.  Of course, see you doc if the pain persists or if you deterct a change in breast size or shape. 

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

+1

Your implant should be fine. You most likely pulled a muscle from the screaming. From MIAMI DR. Darryl j. Blinski

It Takes alot to hurt a implant!

+1

It is rear to see an implant rupture with typical physical activity. I have seen some rupture from car accidents with the trauma of the seat belt. But it is very rare and I tell all of my patients to not limit anything they do and just go back to normal activity.

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Trauma Not Likely to Rupture Implant

+1

Trauma, especially as mild as you describe, is very unlikely to cause a rupture of your breast implant.  With the breast implant ruptures that I have seen over several years, trauma has rarely, if ever, the cause.  Implants generally rupture because an area of weakness develops in the seam of the implant over time.

John Whitt, MD

Screaming cannot effect Breast Implants

+1

Regarding: "Need Opinion on Possible Trauma to Breast Implant. Is It Likely to Be Ruptured?
I have had my silicone implants for a year. I have gone through some recent stress. This morning, I felt the pressure and decided to let it all out. I screamed really loud 2 times, which may or may not have put some trauma on my implants. I feel an acute pain, mild but noticeable, under one of my implants, near the incision. Is it possible to have ruptured my implant from screaming or more likely i pulled a muscle. I see my doctor in march, but do i need to act sooner
?"

Screaming may traumatize your vocal cords, your ears and the sensibilities of those around you BUT it CANNOT traumatize 1 year old breast implants. Breast implants are designed to withstand MUCH higher compression forces than your body can exert by screaming.

Dr. Peter Aldea