Need an Opinion for the Thermage Treatment for Hanging Belly

Hi I'm a fitness freak but had to undergo an appendix operation a few years back, which has left me with a hanging tummy and I'm unable to get rid of it inspite of daily workout - someone has suggested me THERMAGE for the same , but I'm confused about the decision - can u please help me with the same - thank you

Thermage for hanging belly

+2

If you have a mildly redundant belly, Thermage may do a good job.

But for a true "Hanging Belly", you probably need a tummy tuck.

Make sure you are treated by a Board Certified experienced Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon.

Chicago Dermatologist

Thermage and a hanging belly and loose skin

+1

Thermage radio frequency tightens existing collagen, stimulates the production of new collagen and helps lift the abdomen.  If you have just a small amount of skin laxity, Thermage  may give you enough tightening and lifting.  If you have fat there, non-invasive fat reduction treatments are available.  UltraShape focused ultrasound is my favourite. 

Your main problem may be tethering of the abdominal scar which would need to be released before tightening or lifting can occur.  In this case, you would require surgery to release the scar and perhaps a tummy tuck, with or without liposuction.

You should consult a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to discuss your treatment options.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Thermage- Belly

+1

Thermage is used to treat skin laxity on the belly quite successfully- but it may or may not be right in your case.  Submitting a photo would be helpful.

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Abdominal Skin

+1

Depending on the extent of skin laxity, Thermage may not be an option.  If you are slim person you might only need the skin surgically tightened and no tummy tuck is warranted.  The best advice I can give you is to see a physician who specializes and can offer you different options depending of the invasivness as well as pricing.

Ariel Ostad, MD

Thermage most likely not the best treatment for hanging belly

+1

Thermage uses RadioFrequency to noninvasively tighten skin.  It's great for bellies with some skin laxity (ie: stretched skin post pregnancy) and can work well on cellulite.  However, if you do have a hanging belly then there are probably other more effective treatments to address your concerns. If you want to stick with the noninvasive route, then CoolSculpting by Zeltiq can help reduce the amount of fat in an area by about 20% with each treatment session.  Otherwise a tummy tuck and/or liposuction may be a viable option.  To determine what's best for you, I recommend setting a consultation with a Board Certified experienced Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon.

Ava Shamban, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon