What is the Opinion of Getting a 2nd Opinion to Do my Implant Replacement?

I found the perfect breast shape and size on this site, printed them out and gave them to my doctor. He never put them in my file. I have scheduled an appt with another surgeon to get his opinion on what has been going on with me and if he thinks that what I am asking for is possible. He can schedule me for surgery 2 weeks after our consult. My current dr has scheduled me for 6 weeks from now stating that is the first available appt. Both doctors has the same reputation.

Getting a 2nd Opinion to Do my Implant Replacement?

+2

RE: "I found the perfect breast shape and size on this site, printed them out and gave them to my doctor. He never put them in my file. I have scheduled an appt with another surgeon to get his opinion on what has been going on with me and if he thinks that what I am asking for is possible. He can schedule me for surgery 2 weeks after our consult. My current dr has scheduled me for 6 weeks from now stating that is the first available appt. Both doctors has the same reputation".

I agree with Dr. Rand and would like to add a few points.

Your question suggest a level of simplicity which must be challenged. Dating sites are FULL of perfect men and women but, as any person who ever went on a blind date can tell you, the perfect date or rarer yet, spouse, does not exist. Restaurants who rely on glossy photo menus rarely deliver on their photographic promises. Just because your first surgeon was not impressed by the pictures does not make him a bad guy, although I would hope that he understood your goals by looking at those pictures and told you if he could or could not come close to delivering them.

Scheduling time depends on many factors. We all have family obligations, especially when school is out. We attend professional meetings and we all have a backlog of patients who already scheduled surgery with us which may make it hard to schedule as early as you want.

When all is considered I would go with the surgeon with whom you feel the most comfortable because should anything go wrong you want to be cared for by someone you like and trust.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

Second opinions in plastic surgery

+2

There are a few things you should know please.  You can find looks you like in photos on line but these can only serve as rough guidelines for the doctor to help guide him in deciding what to do for you.  It is possible that the look you like cannot be achieved with your body.  Maybe a close approximation can be made though, but not exact.  Also, even if the doctors have the "same reputation" they are not the same.  No 2 surgeons are exactly equal and they will give you different results based on their eye, training and experience.  There could be many reasons for the scheduling differences such as vacations, days worked each week etc, but basically the busier doctor could be because they are better.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Revisionary Surgery

+1

I would be careful to go with a surgeon just because they can get you in within 2 weeks time.  Revisionary surgery is tricky and really you should be looking at experience for the specific procedure that you are looking for.  Usually, the primary surgeon is my recommendation to start the conversation because they will likely want to keep you as a patient.  Be confident in your surgeon - look at before and after photos and even talk to other patients who have had revisions performed to discuss their experience.

Breast Augmentation

+1

2nd opinions are always encouraged if you want one.  You need to be fully vested in proceeding with surgery and I am quick to suggest one to my patients if I think they are hesitant.  I am comfortable with my recommendations and I want my patients to be confident and comfortable also.  I hope this info helps.

Ronald H. Stefani Jr, MD

Second Opinion On Breast Implant Replacement

+1

In general, it is never a bad idea to get a second opinion. It will likely either confirm or dispell whatever feelings you had about your first consultation. It is possible to go overboard with second opinions, and consultations with either two or three plastic surgeons should be enough, especially if you are hearing the same recommendations. At that point pick whoever you have the most confidence in, assuming you ahve checked credentials and your surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. I would be a little concerned that your doctor didn't keep your photos in your file. They may or may not be realistic, but at least they provide a visual of your goals and serve as a starting point for your discussion. Get a second opinion and see how you feel about both plastic surgeons.

Joseph Fata, MD

Second Opinions

+1

It is your body, so you need to do what you think is best.  Make sure you feel comfortable with your surgeon.  Also, be careful about wanting to look like someone else's pictures.  Every person's body is different, so the results that can be obtained in one person may not actually be able to be reproduced in another person due to underlying anatomy and other factors.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Second opinion for revision breast surgery is a good idea

+1

Revision breast implant surgery is more challenging than the first surgery, and so careful decision-making is in order for both the patient and the surgeon. However, showing photos of the desired look and shape is useful only for discussion about what you like and what is and isn't realistic with your own anatomy. More than one opinion is often helpful but so are realistic expectations.

Richard Baxter, MD

+1

In full agreement with all the previous posters, especially Drs Aldea and Rand. I believe you should see each surgeon again to discuss as many details as needed to satisfy you. Than chose the one you feel most comfortable with. Best to you. 

Breast implants

+1
Unfortunately showing a plastic surgeons pictures of anothernpersons breast will only guide for size. The shape of you chest, looseness of your skin enve,ope and amount of your breast tissue will really determine what is possible

David L. Abramson, MD

Breast shape

+1

Photos of other people only help to establisht the general volume that you may want.  But even this is not very precise. You can not possibly obtain the exact shape and appearance as another person because inevitably your anatomy is different.