Second Opinion Needed, No Intervention? Best Course of Action? Asymmetrical Cheeks. (photo)

I recently had a consult with a plastic surgeon regarding my facial symmetry. He told me that it was minor and he felt that no intervention should be done because the costs outweigh the benefits (recovery time, pain, swelling etc). I feel terrible and have no self confidence because of the apparent minor asymmetry and am planning to see a facial plastic surgeon this time around. Am i imagining it or do i really have significant asymmetry like what i think. What should be the best course of act

I agree that you should not have surgery for this.

+1

You do have facial asymmetry.  I think the plastic surgeon you were see was trying to be diplomatic when they should have been more blunt with you.  The difference in your face is minor enough that the average person would never notice or be bothered by the issue.  So it would have been helpful if the surgeon has explored with you how much you think about this problem, if you believe others talk about your facial asymmetry, or if you avoid social situations as a result of your facial asymmetry.  If you think about these issues more than an hour a day, or if the other questions apply, you may have body dysmorphic disorder or BDD. It is has been demonstrated that there is often a gap between how the BDD patient perceive the facial issue and how the surgeon perceives the issue.  This is often the basis for disappointment after surgery.  If you think you might have BDD, I recommend working with a therapist.  This will help you with insight regarding your self-perception.  It will also help you work with surgeons in the future should you decide to have surgery.

Second Opinion

+1

Sure, the face & body have inherent asymmetry from the beginning embryological.  If fact, your right & left sides are "brothers" not "twins!"  Follow-up with a Facial Cosmetic Surgeon.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial Asymmetry Solutions

+1

You likely have a mild form of a growth disturbance such that one side of your face is longer (or shorter) than the other and one side is less developed---you astutely note that your left cheekbone is smaller than that on the right side (and there might be a soft tissue discrepancy, as well).  While ideally you would have bone surgery to make the cheek bones more symmetric an excellent compromise would be a cheek implant to closely match your left side to your right cheekbone.  I agree with the consultation you had in that such a procedure is alot for a small improvement but perhaps this is what would do the trick for your self confidence.  A temporary alternative would be to inject a "filler" to the cheekbone area to determine if you like what you see---if so, you could then go the implant route.  Good luck!

John Frodel, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon