Operation on the 20th and PS Did Not Discuss "Cc" Size with Me, Is This Normal?

I just went in for my pre-op this week and am very excited for my operation. I am 25 yrs old 118 lbs 5'1" no kids. I am currently 32a and want a small c-cup silicone implant. the PS did not discuss "cc" size with me and said he goes by the photo I give him (of what I like from other before and after photos). should I be worried? there are sooo my types of silicone (moderate/high profile) out there and will have no idea of what he will be putting in there. is is normal?

Size of the implant

+1

This is important in my opinion.  You are lucky that you thought of this now.  It gives you time to discuss the size with the plastic surgeon. I feel that it is very important to discuss what size implants will give you the desired result.  This is much harder to discuss AFTER the surgery so I recommend you go back and have that discussion.

Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Not usual to do augmentation surgery without discussing size.

+1

You should have a very good idea of what size will be used before the surgery.  The easiest way to do this is to try implant sizers of differing volumes on with a non-padded bra and a top.  Look in the mirror (full-length) and see what each of them look like on you.  Discuss your choice with the surgeon, so he/she can give you the information necessary to make your choice accurate and satisfying to you.

Michael Leff, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Unknown implant size before breast augmentation is a red flag

+1

You can return to your plastic surgeon and have the plastic surgeon or one of the nurses size you for implants. This can be done by placing different sized implants in a bra and seeing what looks good.  Some offices have 3D imaging photography. No matter how it is done, it is good to have an idea of the size implant you are going to get before having surgery.  Did your plastic surgeon measure your breast base width diameter?  This is an important number in determining the width of the implant selected.

Make sure you are completely comfortable with the decision that is made before you have the surgery.  Be clear to your plastic surgeon precisely what you want. 

If you are not comfortable, consider other opinions.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Choosing the right implant

+1

"Danger, Will Robinson!"  You have to see your doctor and discuss volumes of implants with him.   I determien the implant size by measurements, skin quality and the patient's desires. I will also have the patient go home and perform a baggy test based upon our discussion. This usually works out very well, so I knwo what range of implants that I will consider in the OR.

Surgeon Didn't Discuss How Many CCs He Will Use

+1

I guess my first question is did you hire the surgeon to put in a certain number of cc's? If so be sure to tell him how many cc's you want. Just remember the chances are huge you would be wrong. Otherwise let him figure out how many cc's it takes to get the look you want. You cannot do that until you try different cc's in place in  surgery. Trying on implants preop simply gets you close and no good surgeon goes to the OR with just the set of implants you want, they always have options available as you can read below.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Pre-Op Breast Consultation

+1

Yes, before your surgery, you surgeon should discuss with you the cc size and profile of the implants that they will use.  I also discuss with my patients a range of implant sizes just in case in the operating room the one they choose does not look right.  Therefore, I have on hand one size above and one size below our target range in order to maximize their results.  Also, using the VECTRA 3D breast analysis prior to surgery will held you visualize potential results.

Good Luck

David Shafer, MD

Questions regarding size

+1

I discuss size and shape of the implant with my patients. If you have any concerns you should address it directly with your surgeon before the surgery. Also the incision site and approach ie above or below the muscle should be discussed.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Impant size and what you need to know.

+1

If you are worried about it I would recommend that you call your plastic surgeon and see what he says.  At my plastic surgery practice I routinely have patients try on implants and also bring photos.  I like to have the size of the implant already decided before going to the operating room, but some plastic surgeons like to have some ability to make size changes and decisions during the operation.  Both ways are perfectly fine and will probably get you a great result either way.  For me if I have a patient who is worried about the plan or has questions about surgery I always would like to know about them and make sure we address everything before surgery so that we are on the same page and there are no surprises.  I hope that helps.  Dr. Kerr

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS