Can I Have a Breast Reduction at 14?

I m 14 and I would like to be a 32 B right now im a 34 C but I feel so uncomfortable wearing anything. how much would it cost? and can I get it now even though I might still grow which I doubt since I havn't grown for over a year. Can I only have this operation once or can it be done again at a later stage? Please tell me how much it will cost as well i really want this operation.

Breast Reduction at Age 14?

+2

At age 14 you need to visit your pediatrician and have a complete evaluation.  Discuss your breast concerns.  This is a very young age and C is not very excess.  I suggest you hold off for a few years but if determined ask you pediatric doctor to find you a qualified ABPS surgeon that does breast reduction.  Get a consultaion and see pictures and incisions.  Then wait until you are 18 or older.  If you peditircian feels you shpuld do this, however , then pursue consults at your convenience.  There is NO RUSH.  Good Luck

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction at 14?

+1

I think you are be too young for the procedure. However, it is not too early to start reading about breast reduction surgery and the potential pros/cons/risks/complications associated with the procedure.  Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).

Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.

Make sure you're  working with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastreduction.htm

The Right Timing for Teen Breast Reductions

+1

The timing of breast reduction surgery during the teenage years must be carefully considered. In most instances, young woman will be several years past their onset of menstruation in order to insure that the patient has reached their adult height. Additionally, a patient should be at a stable breast size for at least one year prior to surgery. It would be counter-productive to have the procedure and then have a young girl continue to have breast development necessitating a second surgery. Occasionally a young woman has such extreme breast development (F and G sizes) that surgery will be performed as early as 14 or 15. At a 34 C size in an age 14 year old girl, it would be prudent to wait a few years. Teens must remember that although breast reduction surgery does reliably and safely reduce breast size, the surgery will put scars on the breast, possibly diminish nipple and areolar sensations and may affect successful breast feeding. All these factors must be reviewed in detail with a qualified plastic surgeon. An older teen has greater maturity to make a good decision for themselves.

Cost from breast reduction surgery will include a surgeon's fee, an anesthesia fee and a surgical facility fee. These fees vary depending on the geographical location where the surgery is to be performed.

Breast Reduction - Does It Make Sense for Me?

+1

Hi maria96 in england,

In general, 14 is a Little young to have a breast reduction.  As you suggest, your breasts can continue to grow and so if you have the procedure at this age you may need to have it again.

More to the point, though, is that a "C" cup is not usually considered large enough to have a reduction.  In the United States, the amount of tissue that has to be removed in order to qualify for insurance coverage is usually at least 500 grams, or a little over a pound, from each side.  The exact amount, though, usually depends on your overall body size, or what is termed your body mass index.

Either way, though, I don't think you'd qualify from a size standpoint.  And your age is another issue.

My advice:  stick it out for another 4 years, and see how you feel at that point, when you'll be an adult legally, and your body will be less likely to continue changing on its own.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Web reference: http://www.bodysculpture.com

The advisiability of a breast reduction in a 14 year old with a "C" cup.

+1

There are 2 parts to your issue. First, it is rarely indicated to perform a standard breast reduction on someone with only a "C" cup.

Second, there are few indications to perform a breast reduction on a 14 year old unless they are massively large and extremely symptomatic. At a size "C", you would not meet this criteria. Even though you state that your breasts haven't grown in over a year, it is still possible that you can have further growth over the next few years which may then make it a better decision to pursue this procedure.

Breast Reduction in Patients Under the Age of 18

+1

I agree with the comments regarding your cup size. A "C" cup (if you truly are a C cup-have you been properly measured?), in my opinion is not large enough to justify a breast reduction, especially at your age.  Your breasts may still grow for another 3-4 years, so my advice is to wait, unless the weight of your breasts are causing back and neck pain.

Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

14 yo old for breast reduction

+1

You are rather young and a C cup does not sound that big so I would recommend waiting to see if there is More e growth to come.Yes this operation can be done more than once.but my advice would be to sit tight and wait till you are a bit older.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction at age 14

+1

Breast reduction can be performed at age 14.  This would involve some scarring but if you are not sagging too much it would just be a circular scar around the areola.  As you mentioned, it is still possible that your breasts may grow and that the procedure may need to be repeated.  That isn't a problem but may result in extra expense.  My charge for the procedure, including operating room fees and anesthesia is $7700.

Breast reduction, At what age can I have a breast reduction

+1

A breast reduction is done to remove excess breast tissue, either a small amount or usually over one pound on each side. Unfortunately, unless liposuction is used to remove the tissue, scars result. It is usually done as an outpatient and it can be done at any age. Please write for costs. Watch my video. 

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction at age 14

+1

I have done breast reduction on a handful of patients under 18 but they were all really, really huge and had problems with their posture and a lot of back, neck and shoulder issues.  A C cup, at least in the United States, is really not very large.  It may be different in England if the bra sizing is different.  I would definitly discuss this with your regular doctor and your mum before seeking surgery.  It's best to do this surgery after you have stopped growing and when you are emotionally mature enough to handle a sudden change in your body.  In my experience, young patients have a much harder time emotionally than middle aged or older ladies.   

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.