Correct Openbite First or Get Braces?

My upper jaw is to long and I have a receding chin with my openbite. I want to have the surgery first and Braces later. Do I need to have braces first to correct my openbite?

Orthopedic (bone changing) Treatment Can Eliminate Surgery!

+1

Traditional orthodontists and oral surgeons perform many surgical procedures that may not be necessary. Dentofacial Orthopedics that changes the bone structure can eliminate the need for surgery in many cases. This involves using fancy retainers to change bone structures. Adverse habits such as poor tongue posture and mouth breathing can ruin a great orthodontic result, however. Open bites are tricky. Go with an orthodontist with years of experience who has successfully treated many cases. Good luck!

Denver Orthodontist

Braces are used to align your teeth to match after surgery

+1

It is best to get braces before surgery. If you think of your jaws and teeth as a puzzle with pieces that must fit together precisely, it is easier to understand why braces are required to align the teeth before surgery. Your teeth as they are now would not fit together properly if you had surgery before braces. Because of your receded lower jaw and open bite, your upper jaw will probably also be too narrow to properly fit with your lower jaw. Braces are, therefore, required initially before surgery to align the upper and lower teeth so that both teeth and jaws will fit together properly when the surgeon puts the pieces together during jaw surgery.

Matt T. Walton, DMD
Atlanta Orthodontist

Absolutely braces before surgery

+1

Braces are absolutely an integral part to surgery. You cannot have the surgery without straightening the teeth first. This will remove all the compensation you have to your present jaw position and allow the surgeon to accurately reposition your jaws. This will also help your orthodontist idealize the final bite and the surgeon's ability to improve your facial esthetics. As far as your openbite is concerned you may have a skeletal rather than a dental openbite. I do not have your records, but if you bite is skeletal in nature this will be closed surgically.

James J. Awbrey IV, DMD
Atlanta Orthodontist