Open Wound After Breast Reduction?

I had my second breast reduction on May 14, 1st 30 yrs ago, when the surgeon took off tape after my10 day visit, I didn't notice until I got home that there were two open wounds on my left breast, he didn't say anything about this to me & last week it was really sore, I called his office and explained but I cannot see him until the 20,I went to outpatients and they put me on antibotics, but the wound won't heal, the pus has drained but I cannot get a scab to stay on it, it's about a dime size?

Open wound after breast reduction

+2

Thank you for your question. Wound healing problems are not uncommon after breast reduction. Most commonly the occur at the T junction( below the nipple close to the fold). This could be due reaction to tape or suture exposure. All these wounds will heal and the scar is usually very good. You do however, ned to address this issue with your plastic surgeon and he/she will tell you how to deal with it.

Open Wound after Breast Reduction?

+1

I am sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced. Superficial wound separation can occur after breast reduction surgery;  usually these  wounds/separations go on to heal without significant  negative effect.   Issues such as infection and/or  exposed sutures should be addressed. If the area heals with a wider scar, scar revision surgery may be necessary/helpful.

I would suggest that, if at all possible, you see your plastic surgeon earlier than scheduled. In the meantime you may find that a “nonstick dressing” covered by a sterile dressing may be helpful. You should discuss local wound care with your plastic surgeon ( even if it is just on the phone for the time being).

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastReduction.htm