Open Wound on Forehead For Several Years, I'm Very Worried What's Causing This? (photo)

Hi, I'm a 35 yr old woman and I have had an unhealing wound on my forehead for almost 3 years. It started like a flesh colored pimple, and I picked at it. It would scab over, and I would pick at it again. It would heal, almost but I kept bugging it. Now I have a hole in my head about 2cm long...I am scared I am going to die! I made an appt but would like to know my options and get a professional opinion. It has hard edges. I have 2 little kids, I am scared to death. Thank you.

Wound on the forehead

+2

Your wound must be biopsied by a dermatologist.  The most likely cause is a basal cell cancer.  This type of skin cancer can cause a local wound and can get larger and larger but does NOT generally travel within the body to the other organs.  The only way to truly know what is causing your problem is to send a small piece of tissue to an appropriate laboratory.  Putting it off will only make the problem worse.  Please see a dermatologist as soon as possible.

Good luck.
Madeline Krauss, M.D.

Boston Dermatologic Surgeon