10 weeks post op, Open Wound After Breast Reduction?

Wound separation at week 1 after br done 10 weeks ago. It is finally healing , but now it has a very hard clear scab over the top of the wound, bottom of it is still open. is this normal and how do I keep it from scaring very bad?

Open Wound after Breast Reduction

+3

At this point in time it is important that you do not pick at the scab. It is a "biologic" bandaid. The wound will ultimately heal from the inside out. Without seeing a photo of the wound, I can't comment on the final outcome of your scar. Please ask your plastic surgeon about this at your next follow up.

Thank you for your question. Best of Luck!

Wound after Breast Reduction?

+3

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure; hopefully, you will be very pleased with the long-term results of your surgery.

Unfortunately,  the type of wound that you describe is seen occasionally after breast reduction surgery. These wounds generally go on to heal. Sometimes, the presence of a suture may delay the healing process. You will be best off  continuing to follow-up with your plastic surgeon who is in the best position to remove a long-term suture if it is present. Otherwise, he/she will be in the best position to advise you about local wound care if necessary. Generally speaking these areas go on to heal nicely; rarely, scar revision surgery may improve the long-term aesthetic results.

Scar revision occasionally needed after breast reduction.

+2

Hi.

You had a complication that seems to be resolving.  I would wait several months, but typically a scar revision is useful in this situation. I don't think there is much you can do to control wide or raised scars without surgery.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Open wound after your breast reduction?

+2

-It is not uncommon, after a large breast reduction is performed, to have a small portion of the incision open up and take a while longer to heal than the rest of the incisions. 

-I recommend to my patients that they keep these small areas moist with Bacitracin ointment.  Amazingly, with time and by keeping these small wounds moist and clean, they will heal on their own. 

-Sometimes it may take weeks for the healing process to be complete.  On rare occasions, the resulting scar may be wider than the patient or plastic surgeon desires, and these scars may be revised under a local anesthetic.

Best of luck to you!

Joshua Cooper, MD, FACS

Breast reduction wound

+2

Sometimes the breast reduction incision opens a bit and the wound needs to heal by what is called secondary intention( on its own).  It can take some time.  Follow closely with your surgeon.