1 month post op, I have an open wound after Breast Reduction? (photo)

I had a breast reduction about a month ago, and after my steri strips came off, the left breast started to open. It is open now to where I can see fat, and it has an odor. I went to my surgeon last week and she prescribed me this spray and ointment, but since then it seems like it has gotten worse. So my question is what should I do?

Open Wound After Breast Reduction?

+1

If you are unsure of the care you are receiving than obtain a second opinion. The photos shows early signs of healing but if still draining than you need more aggressive wound care. Like a wound VAC, hyperbaric therapy, surgical debridement, frequent dressing changes. 

Open wound after breast reduction

+1
I am sorry thar your wounds have opened up. You should be followed carefully by your plastic surgeon and comply with postop instructions. An malodorous drainage should be cultured.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Open wound after breast reduction

+1

Thank you for the question. There is no one way to address your wounds. Your plastic surgeon is the best person to advise you about the treatment options. It is treated conservatively with dressing changes it will take 6-8 weeks to heal completely.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Breast Reduction and Open Wound?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced after breast reduction surgery.

There are a multitude of different ways to handle this situation.  Ultimately, the most important factor, in my opinion, is close follow-up with your plastic surgeon. Your plastic surgeon will be able to clean the wound ( debridement) and advise you about specific local wound care,  better than online consultants will be able to do.

You should have peace of mind that in the long run ( whether with local wound care or further surgery  to close the wound or revise the scar),  you should do well.

Again, continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Hello

+1

Every practice is different; in our practice we would be doing the wet to dry method. Make sure you follow up with your PS and keep a very close on your wound.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS