8 months post op, Is This Open Roof Deformity? (photo)

Hi, Please let me know if I have an open roof deformity. I underwent open rhinoplasty 8 months back to remove a prominent hump and this is the result from the front. Why is it so wide and shapeless. Please help. If it is open roof,I need to consider revision. Thanks.

Wide dorsum after open rhinoplasty

From the one photo you provided, you may have an open roof deformity or a saddle deformity from a depression of the nasal bones or loss of support. It also appears your nose tilts to the right slightly. In either case, this can most often be corrected with infracturing or osteotomies of the nasal bones to bring them closer together or you may need some grafting of cartilage to that area as well. Good luck and its best to wait one year from your previous surgery prior to undergoing a revision.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

1361 13th Ave South
Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250

Post op rhinoplasty open roof deformity

Dear grapes1986

• From the one photograph you have provided, it seems that the nasal bones have remained wider than you would like.  
  • You are correct that in most cases, you may consider revision with osteotomies to address nasal bone position. 
  • Best Wishes

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

2521 Stockton Blvd
Sacramento, CA 95817

Open Roof Deformity

It is difficult to determine if you have an open roof deformity but your nasal bones are very wide and do need to be repositioned. You should consider a revision.

416 N Bedford Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

IS This Open Roof Deformity?

Yes based upon the one posted photo you listed it appears as a postoperative open roof deformity. Sorry. 

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

Open roof?

It certainly looks like you have an open roof .  This happens when the dorsum is taken down and the bones aren't brought in adequately. Mid-vault collapse can contribute and sometimes spreader grafts help.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Open roof deformity.

An open roof deformity occurs in rhinoplasty when the nasal dorsum and sidewalls are not adequaltely narrowed following reduction of the nasal bridge.  It would appear that you indeed may have an open roof deformity.  A revision rhinoplasty can help you achieve your desired goals.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC.

Mario J. Imola, DDS, MD
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

3600 So. Logan St.
Englewood, CO 80113

Lowering the bridge can result in widening of the nose

You have gained width to your nose as the bridge has lost projection following the hump removal.  Because the nose sits of the face like a triangular pyramid, lowering the bridge (removing a hump), takes away the narrowest part of the pyramid, leaving behind a broader surface.  The nasal bones can be narrowed to compensate for the partially, which also prevents the open roof.  It is hard to tell from the photo if you do have an open roof, but the bones do look wide.  A revision may help you to gain back narrowness of your nose. This may require osteotomies to narrow the bone and/or augmentation of your bridge.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

55 Francisco Street
San Francisco, CA 94133