Do I Have Open Roof Deformity?

Six months ago, I had a closed rhino-septoplasty. Now, it feels like I have one thin, unconnected bone running down my nose, and when I touch the sides of my bridge, it feels like I have three separate bones. When I lightly squeeze both sides together, I get this strange sensation in my nose. Do I have an open roof deformity? I think this would also explain why one side of my nasal tip somewhat leans. My surgeon suggested a revision to correct my tip, but made no mention of ORD...Help?

? Open roof deformity

+1

Without a "hands-on" examination it is almost impossible to ascertain what your problem is and what the best solution is. Suggest obtaining additional in person consultations.

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Do I have an Open Roof Deformity?

+1

Without a picture or the opportunity to examine your nose it difficult to answer your question with any certainty. The need for a revision procedure will depend on your appearance and personal desires.

Open roof deformity and revision rhinoplasty

+1

This does sound a bit like an open roof deformity but hard to say without an exam.  When comes to revision work, especially in one's own patient, surgeons tend to look at the cost-benefit to the patient and how much work they have to put out.  Often a surgeon will charge something for a revision.  I'm not saying this as a negative critique of your surgeon but this might be the case.  I would ask specificially, "Do you think I have an open roof and could your refer me to someone for another opinion?"  Gauge the response.

If you need a revision for an ORD it may be as simple as soft tissue grafting to the nasal dorsum with fascia from behind the ear or cartilage from the ear.  It could also require redo osteotomies and soft tissue grafting.  In either case it can be as much or more work than the original rhino.

Get a few consults.  If your surgeon is resistant then look into a revision at an academic center with a facial plastic surgeon or one in practice that actually enjoys revising noses.  It really can be difficult so you may not find a lot of true revision specialists.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Concern about an open roof deformity

+1

From your explanation and without at least the aid of some photos, it is impossible to know whether or not you have an open roof deformity. An examination could discern this. However, it is not whether or not such an issue may be present but whether or not the aesthetics are correct or not.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Open roof deformity

+1

An open roof deformity can happen after rhinoplasty, but without an exam it is impossible to say.  It can also be corrected with revision surgery.

Open roof deformity.

+1

You may or may not have this. If there is no external visual problem it requires no treatment. The only way to know if something needs to be done is to see an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon.

Do I Have Open Roof Deformity?

+1

What you are describing does sound like an "open roof" deformity but an examination of your nose would be required to make that determination.  Be sure your Rhinoplasty Surgeon understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive nose.  Breaking the nasal bones would be required, during Revision Rhinoplasty to close the open roof deformity.

Possible open roof deformity?

+1

Seeing your nose and an examination would be most useful to assess whether you have an open roof deformity. In many ways, how your nose looks is the most important factor as it is possible to feel ridges, etc after surgery that aren't visible.

An open roof deformity wouldn't explain your nasal tip leaning to one side. This would be a separate issue.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Open roof after rhinoplasty

+1

The three ridges, or lines along the bridge of the nose, and the sensitivity you have is typical of an open roof after rhinoplasty. Ideally, the bridge is trimmed and lowered to save enough of the upper cartilage, strengthen it with a spreader graft, adjust it with an infracture, etc. to close the open flat defect left after hump reduction (open roof). If it doesn't look right or is sensitive have your surgeon take a look.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Open roof deformity

+1

It would be more helpful to go back to your surgeon or another board certified surgeon for a physical exam. The ability to see and touch your nose will provide valuable information. An open roof deformity will not affect tr shape of your tip as you described. 

Kristin Egan, MD
Manhattan Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon