Do I Have an Open Roof Deformity? (photo)

I'm a little over 3 weeks post op. I had a big hump removed & the nose narrowed a bit. The nose is feeling a little flat and there are sharp bony edges on each side of the nose. I can't feel a dent in the middle of the nose, but do feel dents on each side of the nose, behind the sharp edges. Profile & front looks good, front does not look wide, but when seen from angles it looks like there is still a hump. Do you think I have an open roof deformity? Or can this still correct itself?

Based on your photos, you do not appear to have an "open-roof deformity" 3 weeks after Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

I read your concerns and reviewed your photos. An open-roof deformity is a flat, wide appearance of the nasal-bridge on front view. Your nasal width appears appropriate. The slight bump on your nasal-bridge may just be swelling. It's always a good idea to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Joseph

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Open Roof Deformity

+1

It is difficult to say with certainty based on your description and pictures provided whether or not you have an open roof deformity. Based on the information you provided I don't believe you to have this condition. An open discussion with your plastic surgeon about your concerns and what you feel when you touch your nose is the best approach. 

William A. Wallace, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Open Roof Deformity

+1

Hi,

It looks like you have residual bony out-cropping of the lateral nasal bones. Usually after hump reduction, the lateral nasal bones are filed down. It looks like in your case this may not have been done. However, since you are only 3 weeks post- op this may be as result of swelling. This does not look like an open roof deformity.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Open roof

+1

It is very hard to tell from your photos. As your nose looks now, I don't think you have a big problem.; Certainly you do not look pinched. Wait for more healing and see you surgeon

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Open Roof Deformity

+1

It's difficult to tell if you have an "open roof deformity" from pictures alone. In addition, you may have some postoperative swelling that can obscure and underlying deformity. The narrowing that you speak of likely refers to osteotomies (or bony cuts) that are made in order to prevent an open roof deformity after a large hump removal. Also, sometimes there can be palpable edges of bone after surgery, but are usually well tolerated if they are not visible. I agree that there looks to be a little residual hump on the dorsum in 3/4 view, but it does look rather natural. I would return to your surgeon and have a frank discussion with him or her regarding your concerns.

Michael Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Open Roof Deformity

+1

Looking at the pictures submitted, I cannot tell if there is an open roof deformity. I agree that there is very slight fullness in the 3/4 view, but this may be temporary swelling 3 weeks after surgery. A physical exam is the best way to determine the presence of an open roof. Discuss this with your surgeon.