Open Roof Deformity 18 Months Post-Op Rhinoplasty? Risks of Not Repairing It?

I'm ~18months post-op. Had rhino to remove bump. When I press on bridge of nose between eyes I feel a weird pressure diff than on the rest of my nose. Also can feel irregularities and do not think I am feeling bone in some small areas (but not sure). Nose appearance is fine (doesn't look wide); I'm more concerned about the pressure and the way it feels. Does this sound like open roof deformity? If it is, is it necessary that I repair it? Are there risks associated with not repairing it?

Unusual feeling after rhinoplasty

+1

I do not know exactly what you are feeling.  It is normal to palpate some irregularities after nasal osteotomies.  If you are happy with the appearance and have no functional problems, I would leave it alone.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Repair of Open Roof Deformity 18 Months after Surgery

+1

If your nose looks fine, it is unlikely you have an open roof deformity; in fact if it looks fine, there is no deformity. You're probably feeling an irregularity at the location of bone fractures performed during the rhinoplasty surgery. It is not necessary to have any revision.

No risks for NOT repairing an open roof deformity

+1

There are no risks for NOT repairing an open roof deformity.  You should probably not manipulate it too much.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Rhinoplasty objective

+1

If nose visually looks good after rhinoplasty and balances the face then the objective has been met.  Don't worry about pressure sensations on touch.  With time they will also go away.  From your description, it does not seem like that you have open room deformity.     

Vasdev Rai, MD

Strange pressure after Rhinoplasty

+1

An open roof deformity appears as a wider nasal bridge with flattening across the top.  You would feel an edge of bone, on both sides, with and open space in the middle.  Another stariaght piece can sometimes be felt in the middle and the skin frequently grows down inbetween the spaces creating vertical ridges along the nasal bridge.  What you have seems more like sensativity to nasal bone work, during your Rhinoplasty.  IMHO, I'd avoid placing pressure, on that area, as you may create localised inflammation and bone callous formation.

Possible open roof deformity

+1

If your bridge looks normal then you probably don't have an open roof deformity. If you did you would have a wide, flat bridge. After any surgery there can be changes to the way the nose feels. It's unlikely that any surgery would change that. It's not uncommon to feel small irregularities to the bridge after surgery like yours. If you're breathing well and it looks good, though, I'd just leave well enough alone.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

NOT an Open Roof Deformity

+1

I seriously doubt from your description that you have an open roof deformity. Classically, such a nose deformity looks like a New Mexico flat top mesa and on frontal view gives the nose a wide appearance. I would discuss it with your surgeon to get his explanation but in the absence of a worthwhile correctable deformity I would leave it alone.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

The open roof after rhinoplasty

+1

When a very significant nasal hump is removed there is a chance that the nasal bone will not come fully together over the bridge and edges may become visible under thin skin. This area has been called an open roof, and depending on the skin and shape of the bridge, may not cause any deformity. When it does, grafts of various designs can cover and camouflage the dorsum. If it looks good then leave it alone. An open roof can cause 'feelings' in the nose, sometimes with cold weather, or with heat on the skin. We don't hear much about this anymore. If it hurts to press, well you know, don't do it.

peterejohnsonmd

Open roof unlikely

+1

An open roof deformity typically occurs on the bridge somewhere around the level of the lower eyelids, not where you are describing.  Regardless, if you are pleased with the appearance, then I wouldn't consider any further intervention at this time.  The pressure is not uncommon and should continue to slowly lessen with time.

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Open Roof Deformity After Rhinoplasty

+1

An open roof deformity is a wide, flat, and possibly scooped out appearing bridge of the nose which typically occurs after removal of a hump on the nasal bridge. It occurs if the side walls of the nose have not been fractured and repositioned adequately to narrow the new, lower bridge of the nose. If your nose looks fine, then you don't have it. Minor irregularities that you can feel but not see are common and occur with new bone formation after the bones are fractured. Tiny gaps in the bone should not be an issue either. If you are happy with your appearance and are breathing well through your nose, you have a success on your hands.

Joseph Fata, MD