Could an Open Roof Deformity from a Primary Rhinoplasty Be Corrected with a Closed Revision Rhinoplasty?

Since my first surgery was open, I'm worried that another open rhinoplasty would result in unfavorable scars...

+1

Either can be used, but a closed approach would result in less swelling and fewer healing issues.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Closed rhinoplasty for open roof deformity

+1

Closed rhinoplasty technique is the preferred approach for closing an open roof deformity. open rhinoplasty is unnecessary for this specific problem.

Closed Revision of Open Roof Deformity

+1

An open roof deformity can be corrected using a closed approach. Having said that another open procedure can be done if necessary without an  increased risk of poor scarring.

Open roof deformity after rhinoplasty

+1

The answer is yes, you could do a closed or endonasal rhinoplasty after an open rhinoplasty if the only issue that remains is an open roof deformity.  In fact, an endonasal approach would be preferred in my opinion.  Much quicker, no reason to visualize the tip cartilage anyway, less swelling, less introduction of "the vagaries of healing."  Osteotomies with the endonasal approach is less than 15 minutes of anesthesia time.  Correction of the open roof just needs completion of the prior osteotomies.

But as an aside, I have to tell you that open rhinoplasty should not introduce concern about scars anyway, whether it's a primary, secondary, or revision case.  The bottom line is you just don't need an open approach for an open roof deformity.

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Open roof and closed rhinoplasty

+1

Depending upon what would need to be done in the second procedure would determine whether or nor an open or closed approach would be right for you.