Open Roof Deformity After Septorhinoplasty? (photo)

I had a closed septorhinoplasty done 16 days ago and i know im still in the early stages of healing, but after i got my cast removed ive noticed that when i run down my finger in the middle part of my nose, i feel a very small gap between my nasal bone like it doesnt connect. i did have a hump on my nose removed, and it feels a bit weird now, im starting to think i have an open roof deformity. does that mean my nose will get wide? And does this sound like a open roof deformity? please help thank you!

Open Roof Deformity After Septorhinoplasty?

+2

Based upon the early post operative posted photo I can not tell if you have an open roof deformity. ONLY IN PERSON examination can reveal this. Best to seek an in person second opinion. 

Open Roof Deformity After Septorhinoplasty

+2

I assume the photo is the before picture. As you said, it is early to judge the result and feeling a gap is different than what it is going to look in a few months. So allow the healing to take its course and trust your surgeon to take care of you.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

Given the narrow nature of your dorsum even with the swelling, there will likely be no visible deformity in the future.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Open roof? after rhinoplasty

+2

It is quite possible that you are feeling a small gap after the surgery. This is pretty normal and is likely to solidify and heal. Give it time.

Open Roof Deformity after Rhinoplasty

+2
It does sound like what you are feeling is a small open roof but probably wont be cosmetically a problem. A true open roof deformity appears as a wide flat nose on the dorsum. This occurs from incomplete lateral osteotomies that didnt close the nasal roof. So in summary, what you are feeling with your fingers and what you will see cosmetically will be different. Give it time to heal and if it becomes visible (flat spot) then check in with your surgeon. Wait at least 6 months for healing before you start to worry. Hope this helps.

Louis M. DeJoseph, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Open roof deformity after dorsal hump reduction

+2

What you are describing does sound like a small open roof deformity.  Open roof deformities occur commonly after dorsal hump reductions, and are usually closed with osteotomies.  Your nose will not get wide because of it, and they are generally inconsequential unless they become visible and cause a contour irregularity.  I wouldn't fixate on it, as in all likelihood it won't cause an issue.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD