Can I Wait to Fix an Open Roof Deformity After Rhinoplasty?

I had surgery an year ago. When I feel the nose at the top where the surgeon slightly carved the hump down, I feel that I have an open roof deformity. I would rather wait to fix the deformity. Will waiting have any negitive effect on the bones or the slight hump that the surgeon left. I would also would like to keep that slight hump. -Thank You

Open Roof Deformity

+1

There is no rush to close an open roof deformity - it can be done at any time. Be sure that your surgeon is aware of your dissatisfaction, so that he/she knows you would like to have this corrected in the future. Your "slight" hump can be maintained.

Waiting to Close an "Open Roof" Nose Surgery Deformity

+1

When a hump is taken off the top of the nose, unless the side walls are pushed together (by breaking a line along their bases) the nose manifests a wide-appearing, mesa-like "open roof" deformity. The only way to change the wide appearance of an open roof deformity is to either close it (which will require the careful in-fracturing discussed above) or by hiding it (by putting onlay grafts on top of it). At a year after surgery, things are not likely to improve and you can have the surgery any time.

Osteotomies will be necessary to minimize your "open-roof deformity".

+1

You can wait as long as you like to have your "open-roof deformity" repaired. This will likely require osteotomies to reposition your nasal bones, and this should result in a narrowing of the frontal appearance of your bridge.

I hope you find this helpful.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

No need to rush into revision rhinoplasty.

+1

Hi.

I answered your other question.  It does not matter at all when you have your rhinoplasty revised.  Slight bump can be preserved.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Open Roof Deformity

+1

Hi,

No you can wait to have the open roof deformity fixed without any downside.

Best of Luck,

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Waiting to fix an open roof deformity.

+1

Time will have no affect on the result. You can wait as long as you want. See a revision rhinoplasty surgeon who is very experienced to fix this.