Open Rhinoplasty Rivisoin 2 Weeks Ago, Swelling 95% Gone, New Problem Already!

Had an open revision 2 wks ago and the swelling is 90-95%gone. I am thin skinned and had my 1st rhinoplasty 20 yrs ago. I asked the dr to address knuckling nostril and pointiness at top of other. The prominent problem is gone, but the knuckle under the other side was way overdone, I thought it could just soften the line. He should have advised not to do anything, now there is a long shadow to the tip of my nose. I think it will look very bad in a few months when the swelling is gone. Time will not make it better and there is no support between my columela and nostril. Can i get filler next week, like juviderm? Do you have long term info for silikon1000?

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

I do not perform rhinoplasties, but I am very familiar with wound healing and fillers.  Two weeks is in the midst of healing and there is still considerable swelling/edema that will take time, many weeks. There is no merit in considering any filler at this time, especially silicone which, if creating an unsatisfactory result, would need surgical revision.

Rhinoplasty

+1

It is too early after surgery to decide how your nose will look, nonetheless it there are any issues how to address them.

Discuss your concerns with your surgeon and allow months to pass before considering any further procedures.

Paul Carniol, MD
Summit Facial Plastic Surgeon

No filler for 6 months to tip after Rhinoplasty

+1

No, IMHO filler to the nasal tip 2 weeks after your Rhinoplasty is a big no, no.  The filler could put pressure on the skin and decrease its ability to heal after the Rhinoplasty.  Youll have to wait 4-6 months and see what the tip looks like at that time and if you still feel the same way, filler could be added at that time.  I'm not a fan of silicone in general but minute amounts in the nose to adjust Rhinoplasty results is the only use that I would recommend for silicone injections...following the logic presented for filler use above.

Swelling for many months after revision rhinoplasty will obscure the final results. Be patient.

+1

Your concern about asymmetries post rhinoplasty is a common one.

My advice is as follows.

1. Be patient.  It can take many months for the swelling to subside.  In the early stages of healing, it is impossible to assess and determine the final outcome.  The worst thing you can do is find another surgeon who will go in and perform a 3rd revision surgery when the likelihood is that the asymmetries you are noticing are caused by the swelling.  The third surgery could have a negative impact on your final results.
  2. Injecting a filler during the healing face, especially a permanent one, is not advisable.  This can create new problems.  
  3. Go back to your surgeon and discuss your concerns.  This is the most important advice I can give you.  Have an open discussion.  

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling 90-95% Gone 2 Weeks after Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

With all due respect, swelling is not 90-95% gone 2 weeks after open revision rhinoplasty. Even though you think it will look bad when the swelling is resolved, it is best that you wait several months before considering additional treatment. I would not recommend any temporary fillers at this time; it will make your evaluation more difficult in the near future.

Too Early To Consider Revision Rhinoplasty

+1
As a revision rhinoplasty expert who performs a very high volume of cosmetic nose reshaping surgeries, I can tell you it would be nearly impossible to be 95% healed at this point. My best advice is to be patient, stop staring at your nose and have faith in your chosen revision rhinoplasty specialist. There is a reason you chose this particular nose expert so maintain your confidence level at this time. Talk with your surgeon and get these type of questions addressed. Any plastic surgeon who does revision rhinoplasty on a regular basis is going to tell you much of the same advice.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pen Rhinoplasty Rivisoin 2 Weeks Ago, Swelling 95% Gone, New Problem Already!

+1

It takes many months for the swelling to resolve after a primary rhinoplasty, and longer for a revision. It is not possible that after 2 wks your swelling has resolved after a revision rhinoplasty. 

The knuckling you are referring is a different issue, it may or may not have been improved by your surgeon. As the swelling continues to decrease, the knuckling will become more evident if it was not addressed.

Fillers are not a long term solution for nasal tip problems, there are also risks associated with them as well. If you were to have another surgery on the future, having had fillers injected may impair your future surgery, thus be careful with using fillers as a short term fix.

Michel Siegel, MD

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon