I just got open rhinoplasty, without breaking the nose to shave down a large dorsal hump and lift the tip. (photo)

I just got the bandages off and as you can see in the picture you can see still a large bump. Is this just swelling? Or am I stuck with this?

Dorsal Hump after rhinoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question!

It is understandable that you are concerned. Changes after rhinoplasties vary with every patient and what you are experiencing is normal especially that swelling takes time to subside as it masks the results of your surgery.

Unfortunately, with the pictures posted, the lack of surgical details and the inability to perform a physical exam it is not possible to provide you with a definitive answer that could be medically sound.

It is important to keep in mind that it is early to pass a judgment. Usually, a year is required before formulating how your nose will be. Even then, your nose will keep shaping itself and to complement your face for better results in the years to come.

My best recommendations at the moment is to be patient, allow nature to take its course and edema subsides for better results. There is no doubt that once the swelling subsides, more definition and shape will be achieved and you should be happier with the results.

Also, it is important that you keep communicating with your surgeon and work as a team together to achieve the best results possible.

Congratulations on your surgery and please remain positive!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Dorsal Hump

Your dorsal hump does look a bit overexpressed but without a thorough examination it is difficult to tell. It may be due to swelling. The best thing for you to do right now is follow up with your surgeon.

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

I just got open rhinoplasty, without breaking the nose to shave down a large dorsal hump and lift the tip.

I would followup with your surgeon.  It is too early to make a determination about the final result or the need for revision.

Residual dorsal hump following rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty is one of the most challenging of surgeries in plastic surgery. Don't be discourage with your results immediately following dressing removal.  Your definitive results will not be visible for 6-12 months following surgery.  I do agree, however, that you appear to have a residual dorsal hump.  I would follow up with your plastic surgeon and preserve a good relationship with him/her.  If a revision is required, hopefully your physician will be committed to results that you will both appreciate over the long term.
You are never "stuck" with results.  Thankfully, most things in plastic surgery are correctable.  Occasionally, revision surgery is necessary.  But in your case, it is a bit too early to judge.  Be sure to voice concerns with your doctor.  Hope this helps.
Good Luck!

Jason R. Hess, MD

Dorsal hump after rhinoplasty

Thank you for you question and photo.

If you just got the bandages off, I suspect you are still very early in the healing process. From the single photo you submitted it is difficult to determine if this is a result of swelling or a residual hump. Alternatively, it could be from too much resection in the area of the upper nose and between the eyes called the radix

I recommend that you review your concerns with your surgeon to determine if this will resolve.

Best Regards,

Dr. Stutman