Is Open Rhinoplasty Swelling Causing The Hanging Columella 1 Week Post Op? Will It Correct Itself? (photo)

Hello, I had an open rhinoplasty 7 days ago to reduce a small hump on the bridge of my nose and to reduce the size of my tip. I specifically said to the surgeon that I wanted my nose tip to look less 'droopy'. I am now terified as it looks a little bit worse than what it did before the procedure. Will the columella lift up or reduce to give a less droopy appearance? If it does then by how much on average? I still have my stitches in. I have attached 1 before PIC and 2 after PICS. Any hlp please

Hanging columella cause

+1

Your too early after surgery to assess your columella. I would expect there to be swelling in the area making the columella more prominent.

Give your nose time to heal and follow your surgeon's instructions to maximize your results.

Hanging Columella 1 Week Post Rhinoplasty

+1

It is impossible to make any judgements or provide any advice 1 week after a rhinoplasty. A profile view would be helpful, but it appears that the main problem is the retraction of your nostril rims, not a hanging columella.  Diagnosis will be easier over the next several months.

1 week post-op

+1

7 days post surgery is still very early for you to judge the results of your surgery - don't panic, be patient and follow up with your surgeon

Sam Naficy, MD

Will my nose look less droopy?

+1

Many thanks for asking second opinions, but the best course of action now is to RELAX!  Your surgeon got you through safely, and for one week out, you look great by any standard.  Bring your concerns to the operating surgeon, who performed your procedure in the context of your pre-operative three dimensional anatomy, your stated desires, and his or her training, experience, and judgment, none of which the casual online observing surgeon really knows in detail.

Steve Laverson, MD

Hanging columella

+1

It is always better to see a hanging columella from a lateral view. I can't tell much from this view. Sorry.

Changes after Rhinoplasty

+1

It is a little difficult to say with out your pre operative photos and lateral views. The tip tends to swell the most after open rhinoplasty and swelling reduces last at the tip. First don't be terrified even if the results are not what you expected a revision maybe performed at year after the original surgery.

Good luck

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

High nostril rims make the columella look low

+1

What I see from the front views is that your nostril rims arch up quite a bit--I'll bet that they did not do so before surgery.  New deformities of the tip and nostrils are common after open rhinoplasty, which is one of the reasons that I do not do it.

However, many things improve with time--at the very least the tissues will soften so that you can have a revision next year.  Make sure that you see a surgeon who does composite grafts--they will correct your deformities.

Very good luck to you.

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon