Open Rhinoplasty-splint Removal?

Having hump slighly carved and tip reduction on Dec. 3. I was sheduled to have splint reoved 7-8day later on Dec. 11. Doc is going out of town and was told to reshedule earlier to remove splint on Dec. 9. Which is 4 full days between surgery and splint removed. Doc said re-evalueted case and it would be ok. So, is she saying ok bc going out of town or ok bc it is?

Nasal splint removal after rhinoplasty

+1

I typically leave a nasal splint on the nose for 5-7 days after surgery. If your nasal bones were not fractured it may be safe to remove it earlier.

Splint removal after rhinoplasty

+1

Typically the external splint only serves to help with swelling and maybe with graft replacement. Leaving it on for even 3 to 5 days may be sufficient and this what I typically do with my patients. It does not serve really any purpose except to help with swelling immediately postoperatively in my opinion and to somewhat protect the nose from being inadvertently bumped.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Splint Removal After Rhinoplasty

+1

It is fine to remove the splint between 7-10 days after surgery which is the normal time to remove it. I usually remove it at a week post op as well as removing the sutures.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Removing nasal cast early

+1

It is hard for us to say if it is okay to remove your nasal splint a little early. Your surgeon knows your situation best, so it's probably best to trust her recommendation.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Spint Removal Following Rhinoplasty

+1

Nosey, I have removed splints as early as 4 days out from rhinoplasty. It should be no problem in the big scheme. Happy healing. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Splint Removal After Open Rhinoplasty

+1

Removing your splint after 4 or 5 days instead of a week is usually not a problem after rhinoplasty. Your surgeon would be very unlikely to put his or her interests ahead of yours since cosmetic surgeons in general tend to be very meticulous and detail oriented and take great pride in our work. I would recommend using caution not to bump your nose and closely following the post-op instructions provided by your surgeon. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Steven M. Daines, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Splint Removal

+1

From your description, it sounds like bones were not broken during your rhinoplasty which makes it easier to remove the splint earlier than expected.  Your doctor will not remove the splint unless it is safe to do so, and he or she is the one who is the most familiar with your specific surgery and recovery.  Good luck and I hope this helps!

Norman M. Rowe, MD

Removing the Nasal Splint #nosejob

+1

One can not get inside the brain of what another person is thinking. I leave splints on for one week. I feel a week is a good time period but to be honest if it was removed a few days sooner I do not think it would be a big deal. If you trust your surgeon then there should be no problem. Your surgeon has your best interest in mind and none of us would do something we felt would minimize care to a patient. We all want good outcomes and happy patients.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Removing the nasal splint

+1

I do no think it is a problem to remove a splint shorter than a week. On the contrary, some surgeons keep the splint on longer.

Splints in rhinoplasty

+1

The purpose of the splint is to keep the nasal bones in proper alignment after they are broken and to reduce swelling.  I typically leave a splint on for 7 days, but it can vary depending on the type of procedure which was done. For example, if your bones do not need to be broken, the splint would not need to stay on as long.  You already trust your surgeon from the sound of it and should follow their advice.  Hope this helps.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD