Open Rhinoplasty - the Months Ahead

I just have two general questions. The first one is: At about 4-5 months post-op, could it in any way, shape, or form, be dangerous to work out? By this I mean, heavy running, muscle training, etc. The second question is: I heard that steroid injections can be harmful. How is that? And why? And is it a big risk? Thanks...

Activities after Rhinoplasty

+1

Four or five months after open rhinoplasty, there are no restrictions on my patient's physical activities. There is little risk with very small amounts of cortizone injected into the nose after surgery. If you're asking about systemic steroids, there can be serious complications which should be discussed in detail with the physicians prescribing them.

General OPEN Nose Surgery (Rhinoplasty) Question

+1
In regards to your questions about Open Rhinoplasty 1. We do not like our patients exerting themselves as the nose skin adheres back to the nose skeleton and lymphatic and blood vessel circulation reforms. By 4-5 month, a lot of the adherence is done but lymphatic circulation is not completely done and there will still be nasal swelling which MAY be slightly worsened by serious exertion. This should NOT mean that you should abstain from normal activities fot a year. I would not term slight swelling as "dangerous". Your nose will NOT fall off if you exercised. (That is unless you also happen to have an advancedcase of leprosy you ddid not disclose...Sorry, medical humor). 2. "Steroid" is a very general term that can cover ANABOLIC steroids or CORTICOsteroids. I am NOT sure which you are referring to. Corcticosteroid shots may be used in the dorsum of the nose to reduce swelling. This should be done carefully to avoid skin thinning. Anabolic steroid shots are a different aniimal and unless you are willing to accept various potential serious disorders I would stay away from them. Dr. Peter Aldea

Exercise and rhinoplasty

+1

There is no greater a risk exercising 5 months after a rhinoplasty than before, as long as you are healed with no problems. Steroid injections can be a problem if not done properly.

Wayne R. Perron, MD
Calgary Plastic Surgeon