Open Rhino Swelling and Complications

I had open rhino 29 days ago to remove dorsal hump..hump is gone but now on the right side of my nose I have a sm. hump that makes my nose appear crooked..could this be swelling?? I am very worried because i can't tell if its the hump making my nose look crooked or if my nose in fact is crooked..MY PS did hump rasping,reduced nostril flaring, and raised the tip? and my tip and my nostrils are still swollen. My nostrils look uneven one is out more than the other?? also my smile how much longer??

Swelling 29 Days after Rhinoplasty

+1

Results are never permanent 29 days after rhinoplasty. Normal post-op swelling can explain all your concerrns. Be patient.

Open rhinoplasty early post-op

+1

It is way too early to make a final assessment regarding your nose.  You should give it at least 6 months or longer to see the final result.

Still too early to tell

+1

Since you are only 29 days post op I would not even be concerned.  You are still in the first 2 months post surgery or what I call the ugly period.  It takes those first 8 weeks for the initial swelling to resolve.  Follow your doctors instructions and see him as often as is needed, if only to be reassured.  You don't mention it but I would assume you also had osteotomies (breaking the bones) to narrow the nose as well.  Good luck.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Nasal swelling one month after rhinoplasty

+1

Dear rhinoplasty patient from Texas,
One month after a rhinoplasty surgery, there are still external and internal nasal swelling. This is a very common problem. The swelling after rhinoplasty can take a long time to completely dissipate. There are three phases of healing process after rhinoplasty. The first 2-3 weeks the initial swelling (90% of swelling) will be resolved. At this point, the new shape of the nose is more apparent. The second phase is 2-3 months later which additional 5% of the swelling will be gone. More realistic shape of the nose is seeing at this point. The final phase can take 12-18 months in which the residual swelling will subside. Your must talk to your surgeon regarding your specific questions. Good luck and good healing

Kevin Sadati, DO

Could this be swelling?

+1

Dear1849anon,

•  First and foremost, you have had a major nasal surgery less than a month ago.  I know it is difficult, but I would advise that you give your nose a chance to heal before critiquing in the mirror.
  • You have put a lot of effort, time, recovery, money, and emotion into your rhinoplasty, but I think now is the time to let it heal.  This can be hard. 
  • The amount of swelling in your nostrils and around your bridge is started to diminish, so you can see differences between the two sides.  It is many months too early to tell how the nose will look when it heals. 
  • As your swelling goes away, then the healing and maturing of  your nose structure will proceed for months.  
  • Sorry, but your last question "my smile now much longer? " isn't clear.  Give your nose some time to heal and keep in contact with your surgeon.    

Best Wishes

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon