Open Rhino 6 Months Ago I Cant Really Notice a Difference?

I had hump removal and tip lift. With the cast on it looked good but upon removal, dents appeared (which have since flattened out) but the tip is massive, it looks like an old mans nose, really bulbous. The surgeon removed the hump using the cartillage to build up the tip but where he put it in theres a definate ridge so it looks like a beak. Also, the scar under my nose is raised, red and lumpy.Surgeon will do a revision to lift the nose and reduce the ridge but not till a year.Not happy!!!

Subtle Changes 6 Months After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

Based on your description, it is hard to provide you with a solid cause to why you can barely see changes at 6 months after your rhinoplasty.

Usually, the 6 months mark is when about two third of the final results are established and changes should be noted.

However, patients with thick nasal skin tend to take more time to recover and perhaps you fall within this category; without photos (before/after) and examination, it is not possible to be accurate with a diagnosis.

I recommend that you have a little more patience to see what the final results of your surgery would be. Then, if you feel that you are still unsatisfied with your nose a corrective surgery could be planned.

That being said please remember that commendable results require an exceptionally skilled surgeon to perform the surgery and settling for anything less than that increases the chances of additional corrective surgeries dramatically.

Thank you for your inquiry.
The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Tip swelling after open rhinoplasty

+1

Typically you should begin seeing some improvement to the tip of your nose at about six months. It is possible that you have built up excessive scar tissue that is compromising the results. I have had some success with low dose kenalog shots in that area. In either case I do agree it is best to wait at least one year before contemplating a surgical revision.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Hi,

It can be difficult to assess your nose without pictures. However, if you are not happy with what you see, you should go for a second opinion. At 6 months post-op, if you are still unhappy I think its ok to seek a revision. Hope that helps.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

So sorry you are not happy.

+1

Your surgeon is right one year for revision . I have used flonase squirte to the area under the tip twice daily to reduce the swelling.It works in most cases but takes two weeks

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Swelling in tip

+1

It is quite common to have swelling of the nasal tip, and this may last up to a year and sometimes longer.  Good luck.