Open or Closed Rhinoplasty For A Hump And Deprojected Tip? (photo)

Either Approach Would Work For You

+1

Chris,

Thanks for your question. I would echo the sentiments of the other experts here, in that I think either approach would work for you. As stated, the focus should be more towards your particular surgeon's results than the specifics of the approach.

Having said that, for a straightforward dorsal hump reduction and deprojection I would favour the endonasal approach. I think this approach, for the right kind of nose, achieves the same result as an open approach, with less disruption to the nasal architecture, and faster recovery.

I wish you the best of luck with your decision!

Dr. Alexander

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Either or

+1

Chris,

The correction that you seek can be performed either through an open or closed approach.  Your nasal tip is actually overprojected and needs deprojecting.  This might better be performed with an open approach for precise control of removal of cartilage.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Open or closed rhinoplasty surgery for hump removal and deprojection

+1

Either surgical approach can be used to remove a hump and deproject the tip. I personally use both approaches and cater the technique to the problem at hand. What's more important than the approach is the results that your surgeon is able to achieve with their preferred technique. You should also focus on making sure the surgeon's results are durable as evidenced by after photos from at least a year after surgery. 

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Open vs Closed Rhinoplasty

+1

All excellent rhinoplasty surgeons have their own criteria for recommending an open or closed procedure. As I said when I answered an identical post earlier today, I always recommend that a patient select the experienced physician whose results they like, not the technique.

+1

I have read ALL the expert posters responses. In general, you should ALWAYS obtain in person evaluations prior to asking, in a very vague manner, "which technique" would each of us use. ONLY one side view photo and no other information makes it impossible to give any accurate guide. I, let me see, chose either open or closed would work. 

Open vs closed rhinoplasty

+1

Your one photo does not provide enough information to specifically answer your question. That being said, you should select your rhinoplasty surgeon based on their reputation, your comfort level, etc. Whichever approach they feel most comfortable with is what you should have. The small incision for the open approach leaves a small essentially imperceptible scar yet this technique in general provides more precision and predictability of results.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Open or closed rhinoplasty

+1

I do them both, but I feel that open gives me more precision to get the desired result in the tip.  I think the small scar on the columella in the majority of cases heals very well.

Open or Closed Rhinoplasty For A Hump And Deprojected Tip?

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and use both Closed and Open Rhinoplasty techniques for this very situation.  I would need to see a front view, of your nose, to make the final determination as an open Rhinoplasty, IMHO, is reserved for nasal tips that are very wide, asymmetrical, previous operated or some other reason that requires directl manipulation of the nasal tip cartilages.  Otherwise a Closed Rhinoplasty could thin the nasal tip, reduce the tip projection and remove the dorsal hump.  Hope this helps.

Rhinoplasty

+1

I do not know who you think the surgeons in this group are but we are not oracles. There is no way we can make reliable recommendations to you based on a single side view photo of the nose and a less than 10 word statement by you. There should be a lot more thought going into this on your part and your prospective surgeon's in order for you to have a safe reliable result.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Open vs. Closed Rhinoplasty, its more about the surgeon's skills than a small incision

+1

In primary rhinoplasty, most nasal humps can be removed as well as deprojecting the tip of the nose through both the endonasal (closed) or open rhinoplasty approach. I personally use the closed approach for approximately 90% of my primary rhinoplasties and feel the results are as good as open rhinoplasty. I suggest you see an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon and discuss your goals. Look at the surgeon's before and after photos and make sure that their aesthetic sense matches yours.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD