Open or Closed Rhinoplasty to Fix Nose Hump?

I'm 20 years old and I want suggestions on how to get rid of my nose hump. I don't know if it's considered a small hump. I'm happy with how my nose looks from the front, i don't like how it looks from the side. I just want to get rid of this hump it makes me feel insecure. I don't want anything else done on my nose (And how much would this cost me). please help

Rhinoplasty, nose hump, dorsal hump and open versus closed rhinoplasty

+2

Although both approaches can be used to access the dorsum of the nose "nasal bridge" I would suggest the least invasive appraoch, the appraoch that disturbs the least amount of tissue, the approach that destabilizes the least number of support structures and the approach that leaves the lightest "foot print".   I would personally choose the endonasal or "closed" approach as you can access the dorsal hump from two small incisions hidden inside the nose.  This is my personal choice however.

Detroit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Closed or open, both are good options

+2

Endonasal or closed rhinoplasty is my preferred method for simple hump reductions without much need for nasal tip work. The recovery time is a little shorter and I'm in the camp of working on and operating on only those things that need correction.  In cases or revision or when extensive grafting is needed to add shape or definition to the nose, then I prefer the open approach. Thanks so much for your question and good luck.

Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

I have performed both Open and Closed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and the nasal hump can be removed using either approach.  The open approach is reserved, IMHO, for under-rotated tips, asymmetric tips or those requiring a conchal cartilage on-lay graft (that should be secured directly with sutures or tissue glue).  The nasal bridge can be addressed using the closed approach which is far less invasive.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Depends on whether the bump is mostly bone or mostly cartilage

+2

Dear FrankieCali,

Whether your nose is operated from an open vs closed technique should honestly not be the dominating question. What is important is that the surgeon you choose has a lot of experience with rhinoplasty. That being said, if the bump is mainly bony and is in the upper third of your nose than a closed approach is perfectly suitable. However, if the bump is more of a curve that goes all the way from top down to the tip and consists of a large portion of the middle part of your nose than we would generally recommend an open approach.

The reason we prefer an open approach is that the middle part of your nose is actually very important part of your airway and if the mid vault falls in after bringing the bump down you can experience breathing difficulty as asll as looking crooked. The advantage of an open approach is that when the surgeon releases the connection of the sidewall to the septum he/she can then suture the connection back together. In a closed approach accomplishing this appropriately can be more difficult and some surgeons who prefer a closed approach do not do this. As a result, over time the mid vault can fall in causing you to look either crooked and/ or to have breathing problems.

When dealing with your nose which is the center of your face and a very important part of your breathing it is critical to find a surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty and you can then find financially what works for you.

Warm Regards,

Peyman Solieman, MD

Open vs closed rhinoplasty

+2

Thank you for your question. The choice of an open or closed approach to the nose really depends on how much tip modification is needed. If the tip is in a reasonable position, and has a good shape, then a closed rhinoplasty is a possibility. If the tip needs to be modified to a significant degree, the open approach is a better option, in that it gives better control of the final shape.

Based on your description, it sounds like you would be a candidate for a closed rhinoplasty. This would allow removal of the hump and improvement of your profile. A consultation with a plastic surgeon will further determine your options.

Best of luck with your nose.

Jeff Rockmore 

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Isolated dorsal hump reduction via closed rhinoplasty

+1

Closed (endonasal) rhinoplasty is probably the best option for your if you like the way your tip looks and don't want any changes to it.  You wiill have no visible incisions, and the recovery will be quicker than with open rhinoplasty.  Depending on the degree of hump reduction you may need a septoplasty as well to obtain cartilage for something called spreader grafts - which will help to prevent your bridge from collapsing in the future.

Nasal Hump

+1

If your nasal hump is small, it could be done via a closed approach to avoid any visible scarring.  An in-person evaluation is recommended to determine the best option for your situation.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Web reference: http://www.kimberlyleemd.com/about-us

Hump Reduction Rhinoplasty Surgery - Closed or Open Rhinoplasty Approach?

+1

It is difficult to give you an accurate answer without photographs. The answer really would depend on how large the hump is and whether or not other things need to be done to the nose at the same time. I have attached a link to a page on our website that goes over nasal hump reduction in detail and gives you some idea of the other considerations.

Web reference: http://www.drhilinski.com/rhinoplasty-tutorial/dorsal-hump/

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Open or Closed Rhinoplasty to Remove Hump

+1

Although I have been an advocate of open rhinoplasty for 35 years in some patients it is not necessary to remove a nasal hump. The surgery will cost $5,000-6,000 if the it is limited to a hump removal.

A dorsal hump can be effectively treated using a closed approach so as to avoid visible scars.

+1

A dorsal hump is the most frequent presentation among people who want a rhinoplasty.  It is corrected by rasping down the excess bone and in-fracturing the nasal bones.  This may be done without any work on the tip of the nose.  A closed approach works just fine and avoids any scars that are visible.  The cost is likely to be in the range of $4000-$5000 including the surgery center and anesthesia.  Rhinoplasty is a difficult operation, even a straightforward one, so you are best to seek out an experienced plastic surgeon.  Be sure to look at many before and after photos to be sure you are satisfied with the results you see in other patients treated by your surgeon.  That way it is much more likely you will be happy with your own results.  I've attached a link to my own website just in case you want to look at some examples.

Web reference: http://www.swansoncenter.com/content/ideal-face/procedures/rhinoplasty/patient-photographs.asp

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon