Can an open bite (due to tongue-thrusting) be corrected without surgery?

I am 16 with an open-bite. The bottom row of my teeth seems to be pushed outward probably due to tongue-thrusting. I also have a cross bite along with that.

Tongue thrust

+2
Your open bite  can and should be corrected. I feel confident that it could be corrected non surgically . However, you probably need speech therapy for the tongue thrust. Otherwise, your tongue habit could open your bite up again.

Portland Cosmetic Dentist

Correcting open bite with DNA Appliance (Epigenetic Orthodontics)

+2
Most cases with open bites are primarily Orthopedic rather than dental only.  A DNA appliance will allow you to orthopedically grow bone and Pneumopediclly grow airway.  Tongue thrust is usually an airway issue and often  relapses if airway is not corrected.

Ira Shapira, DDS
Highland Park Cosmetic Dentist

#Cross-bite corrected without surgery

+1
Without photos, it's hard to be exact, but it is likely that your cross bite can be corrected without surgery.  You may need an appliance that limits your tongue, which could ultimately affect your speech, but a non-surgical resolution is possible.  Depending on the dentist you choose, he or she may or may not be able to correct your bottom teeth using Invisalign.  However, at 16 years old, you would be a good candidate for metal braces (even though, you may wish you were not).  Good luck to you and I hope this helps. "Follow" me on Real Self to ask more questions of me.
Sarah Thompson, DMD
O'Fallon, IL and St. Louis, MO

Sarah Thompson, DMD
Belleville Cosmetic Dentist