Replacing Implants After Having Kids, Is It Unrealistic To Expect The Results I Had Prior To Kids?

i originally had 190cc, high profile implants and downsized to 120cc since then i've had 2 kids and have lost volume with a little bit of drooping. i'm 5'2, 112 lbs, with a very small frame. i do not really want to go any bigger than 180. i remembered what i looked like at 190cc and do not want to be any bigger than that. is it realistic to think that i would look similar or will 190cc now give a different result because of the fact that i have had kids? i.e. will 190cc now look a lot smaller

The breasts you had before children

+2

Restoring the breast to just how it was before pregnancy is a very tall order as the skin envelope often stretches, and some of the volume can be lost. Your breast will continue to change as you age, however to get the best look you will need to take up the skin, restore the volume, and to reduce the droop and ball like projection, move into a fuller implant, perhaps 250cc or less, and use a lower profile to better blend with the breast. Not a daring size, just a more balanced and pretty result.

Best of luck,

peterejohnsonmd

Replacing implants after children?

+2

Every woman's breasts respond differently after having children.  Some lose volume but don't sag much, others may sag without much difference in size and some grow larger and stay larger without losing volume.  

It is difficult to assess what size implants are needed and what to expect after surgery without examining and measuring you breasts and tissue parameters.  If you have lost some volume bigger implants may be needed to achieve the same result. One thing is for sure...Your breasts have changed after having kids and even if you were examined before chidbirth, you should be re-evaluated and new recommendations given.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Breast Revision

+1

You will need an exam by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for you to have the information needed to decide this size option.  Extra skin from having kids is possible so you must consider this possibility, and that may mean you need a bigger implant.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation revision

+1

There are many variables to consider when undergoing presentation surgery after pregnancy. For example, has a been a loss of breast tissue volume related to the pregnancy or breast-feeding? Have the breasts changed in position on the chest wall? Has there been a change in breast symmetry after pregnancy?

Given the multiple factors involved I would suggest not getting caught up with the specific size of implant.

It is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Breast implants and post partum changes

+1

Replication of the "virgin" breast is difficult after pregnancy because of the changes in the skin (stretching) and the gland (shrinkage).  An evaluation by a board certified plastic surgeon will help you decide what options you have (different implant size or profile, breast lift, or a combination of both) to best return you to the approximate size and shape before you had children.

Ricardo Izquierdo, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon