What Size, Shape, Implant, is Best? (photo)

My left breast measures 21cm from my sternum to areola, right is 20cm. From nipple to inframammary is 7cm on both breasts. Width is 11.8cm - Measurements taken by a board certified plastic surgeon. I am just trying to get a range of professional opinions. What would be best: - over or under - high or mod profile - size I am a very athletic 38 year old. 5'4", 117lbs. No kids.

What Size, Shape, Implant, is Best?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture. Despite your good description of your body type and goals, online consultants will not be of specific enough help to you. Generally speaking, I think it is in the best interests of most patients seeking breast augmentation surgery to have implants placed in the “dual plane” or sub muscular position. This includes athletic patients.

The submuscular positioning allows for more complete coverage of the breast implants leading to generally more natural feel/look of the implants in the long-term. I find that this position provides more “support” for breast implants unless “strain” on the overlying tissues. This position will also decrease the potential for rippling and/or palpability of the implants (which may increase with time, weight loss, and/or post-pregnancy changes).

The submuscular positioning also tends to interfere with mammography less so than breast implants in the sub glandular position. The incidence of breast implant encapsulation (capsular contraction) is also decreased with implants placed in the sub muscular position.

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as  “natural”  or “C or D cup”  etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

The use of computer imaging technology may also be very helpful during this communication process.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

I hope this (and the attached link) help.

What Size, Shape, Implant, is Best?

+1

Great posted photo, great posted measurements, but ONLY in person examination allows us to determine you desires and anticipated outcomes. My GUESS is a HP implant under the muscle in the 300 to 450 cc range. GO GET IN PERSON OPINIONS please. 

What size, shape, implant is best?

+1

Although there will always be exceptions, for most women placing smooth, round implants under the muscle will work the best. Silicone implant have a softer,more natural feel and usually a softer more natural look as well. Some additional measurements would be helpful but based on what you have supplied a size of about 325cc seems about right. Good luck.

Joseph Fata, MD

What Size, Shape, Implant, is Best?

+1

Thanks for your question. Despite your photo and better measurements than almost any patient ever reports on this site, missing is an ideal of your goal. 

In general, unless there is a specific reason, I recommend under the muscle for almost all patients.And in general, I prefer silicone gel in almost all patients.

I like to have patients try on implant sizers, and once a volume is chosen, I will recommend the profile (high, moderate plus, moderate) to most closely match the 11.8 cm width of your breast. For the occasional patient whose priority for whatever reason is to use let's say a moderate plus implant, I would 286 or 304 cc (widths 11.7 and 11.9).  If these seem too large or too small, I will suggest a different profile. 

Implant size selection

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:
1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system
Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.
Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  If you have decided on saline implants, then based on the gel sizer you select, we can guide you to the saline implant that achieves a similar look.
Hope this helps.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS