3 months post op Juvederm Volbella injected into my lips. I developed hard, painful nodules. Should I get Hyaluronidase or Wait?

Hello, About 3 months ago, I had half a syringe of Juvederm Volbella injected into my lips. Last week, I developed several very hard, painful nodules, thickening of the corner of my lip, and severe swelling that fluctuates over the course of a day. This is has not resolved at all. I am trying to decide if it is worth having hyaluronidase injected, or if I am better off waiting it out for a bit now. I am very upset with the current state of my lips and just hoping for a solution. Thank you.

The majority of swelling if not all should have subsided at this point.

+1
The majority of swelling if not all should have subsided at this point. Schedule an appointment with your injector to discuss your options. If you are unhappy, having the product dissolved may be your best option. It is common for lips to have a slight increase / decrease in water retention. 

See your injector

+1
Please see your injector for a physical examination of your lips. Hyaluronidase may help, but this could be caused by something else. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Dissolve filler or wait

+1
While Volbella is not currently an FDA approved filler in the U.S., it is still a hyaluronic acid filler which can be dissolved. Since the nodules are new and have not been there all along, it would be best to see your injector for an in-person evaluation to determine what has caused the nodules - the filler itself, some type of reaction or infection?, or something else.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

3months post filler

+1
Thank you for your question. Since it has been 3  months already, I would suggest seeing your provider for further evaluation. Good Luck.

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS