Will Revision Tummy Tuck Help with Skin That Has Become Loose or Will It Happen Again? (photo)

Hi I'm just wondering if getting my revision TT will help with my loose skin that has been developing... My surgeon has agreed to do it at the 6 months mark.. With no charge (bless him) but I'm scared that my skin will loosen again! What can I do to get the best results? I had full TT/MR nov 20

Revisionary Tummy Tuck Surgery Helpful?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

As you can imagine, despite good intentions, online consultants will not be able to provide you with as precise advice as will be available from your plastic surgeon. He/she will have the benefit of examining you in a variety of positions.

If, your concern is the presence of “excess skin” above the existing tummy tuck scar line, then excision of the residual skin will likely be beneficial. If, on the other hand, the excess skin seems to be along the vertical axis then, excision of more skin along the horizontal axis may be of little benefit.

Also, although it may sound like common sense, remember that some "residual skin" is necessary to allow for patients to achieve full range of motion of their torsos. In other words, it is not unusual for patients to have some residual skin laxity when they are sitting as opposed to when they are fully upright or extending their abdominal walls ( for example while practicing yoga  or while lying over an exercise ball).

In my practice, I would ask that you wait closer to one year before evaluating the end results of the procedure performed, given that it may take up to this time for the skin to fully “redrape”.

Revison of Tummy Tuck

+1

Thank you for your question and photographs.  It is difficult to tell from pictures alone what  the elasticity of your skin is and how much extra skin is present.  If your skin has lost most of its elacticity it may be difficult to get out every last wrimkle.  If your PS strongly recommends a repeat procedure, that sounds optimistic.  

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Stretched skin soon after tummy tuck

+1

Its nice of your surgeon to offer to tighten your abdomen further.  It is difficult to tell from your photos how much looser the skin is, but it appears to be a quite acceptable result.  Some people have poor skin elasticity, especially after multiple pregnancies, which can result in the skin not staying as taut as right after surgery.  Trying to get the skin too tight can cause distortion or poor scars. Hope your revision gives you greater satisfaction with your results

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Will Revision Tummy Tuck Help with Skin That Has Become Loose

+1

Photos are helpful, but not near as much as an in person exam. From these photos I cannot really even tell if there is still skin excess. Obviously there must be some or your surgeon would not even offer revision. It does look like you have had quite a nice improvement. 

It is not rare for patients who have had this many pregnancies, and/or massive weight changes to have such poor skin elasticity that the closure that seems tight at surgery does not maintain the same tightness through recovery. Your best outcome will require the patience to wait until the surgeon feels that your skin has "stabilized" and six months seems reasonable time to evaluate. Thanks, best wishes. 

Loose skin after tummy tuck

+1

Loose skin after tummy tuck may be more about loss of skin elasticity than actual skin laxity. If the skin is snug and well contoured when you stand up straight, then your result just might be all it can be. Keep in mind revision can involve a scar which is not as kind the first time around.

Will Revision Tummy Tuck Help with Skin That Has Become Loose or Will It Happen Again?

+1

You have a very acceptable result. Yes a revision could tighten you but there are always risks to understand. Best to discuss with your surgeon in person. 

Loose skin after a tummy tuck

+1

Sometimes when patients have really poor quality skin ( massive weight loss, or yoru situation 6 kids), the skin rebounds a bit after the tummy tuck and loosens.

Tummy tuck too loose LeTrec?

+1

What you are having done is not all that uncommon.  The problem is more that the skin below the scar stretched out, not so much the skin above the scar.  As long as the surgeon cuts out the loose skin below the scar, the skin should stay tight. I have done this type of revision before and have never had to do it twice.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Maximizing Your Tummy Tuck

+1

Your 6 wks to 11 wks post op photos suggest slight weight gain. Either way, Additional skin can be removed and you will have a tighter abdomen. To maintain your revised result, I recommend that your stay as healthy as possible with a balanced diet and regular excercise. Achieve your ideal weight and you will have an ideal long lasting result. 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

A revision tummy tuck should help unless you have abnormal skin elasticity

+1

Re-doing a tummy tuck to tighten up loosened skin can help, but understand that you will always have some loose skin.  Skin is elastic and stretches, but as you get older the elasticity goes and the skin is less likely to bounce back/contract after stretching.  In some cases there are rare genetic disorders where the elasticity is abnormal and people have abnormally loose skin (but these are rare, it's unlikely that this is your condition)

Martin Jugenburg, MD