Uneven Nasolabial Fold Results from Radiesse Injection

I once received Radiesse for nasolabial folds. One side was perfect. The other was not. The side that was not stayed red for at least 2 months and bruised heavily for several weeks. It also left an "implant look" above the wrinkle and stayed for about a year. What material would be best for me to use in the future for this area? The nurse practitioner that did the work said it happened because she had to use more of the product on that side. I don't plan on going back to her again.

Injections to folds

+2

Remember, asymmetry is the norm, and placing filler is filler dependent.  That is why I do it myself.  I think that the product is expensive enough, and I think that most patients expect their doctor to perform the procedure.

A .500 Batting Average is Great in Baseball, Horrible for Facial Fillers

+2

Hi Christene,

What ever made you decide "I don't plan on going back to her again"? The injection of fillers is a medical procedure that should be performed by board certified physicians in a cosmetically oriented specialty (plastic surgery, facial plastic surgery, dermatology, oculoplastic surgery).

Your nurse batted .500, good in baseball, horrible in facial fillers. It sounds like she got some bleeding on the bad side, and then injected the Radiesse in an improper plane.

When you next see a carefully selected cosmetically trained physician, you may want to request a hyaluronic acid filler such as Restylane or Juviderm. These fillers are reversible with Widase or Vitrase in case there is another problem. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Juvederm, Elevess, Restylane , Radiesse or Artefill

+1

It sounds like you developed a hematoma or seroma (fluid collection) under the skin or that you may have gotten one side infected for it to stay red and swollen for so long. Regardless, it is not an allergy to the radiesse and you should consider still using the radiesse in the future since it lasts about a year. The juvederm, resylane and elevess ($550/syringe) lasts 6-9 months. Artefill ($1250/syringe) is a good choice as well because it lasts 4-5 yrs but you have to be skin tested first to make sure you are not allergic to it.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon