Mommy makeover with no lipo, will I look overweight?

My PS said he does not want to perform liposuction on me during my "mommy makeover" surgery since he will already be performing a full tummy tuck, along with correction and augmentation of my tuberous breasts. I don't question his decision, but my question is, will I look I am not overweight, but my hips are quite full. I am apple-shaped and have thin legs and a shapely bottom, no cellulite. The trade-off is I have big grandma arms ;).

Tummy tuck without liposuction?????

+1
hello. interesting question. I consider  liposuction an important complement to the tummy tuck, it helps us to better define the figure. I  generally not do tummy tuck with  out al least do liposuction of  flanks, but it's a very personal decision and you should discuss with your plastic surgeon.

Lipo with mummy makeover

+1
I would always consider liposuction as part of a tummy tuck rejuvenation procedure. There is a limit to how much lipo can be performed at the same time but the flanks is usually not an issue. I would ask your PS to explain the pros and cons of lipo with you so that you cn make an informed decision.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction at the time of mommy makeover

+1
In my experience, a mommy makeover has three components: a breast procedure, abdominal procedure (typically some form of a tummy tuck) and liposuction.  This fully addresses most peoples concerns.  I use computer imaging to better assist my patients in appreciating the goals of surgery.  The real goal is to return you back to your pre pregnancy appearance if not improve upon it.  This would be more easily addressed with a review of your preoperative pictures.

Roger J. Friedman, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

To lipo or not to lipo during mommy makeover and tummy tuck?

+1
HI,
In my experience, everyone looks better with flank and side liposuction in combination with a tummy tuck procedure.It only adds about 30 minutes to the surgery but can make a huge difference in outcome. If the liposuction is not performed then you may have a flat tummy with flank bulges that bother you and look bad in clothes. I would recommend talking to another surgeon just to make sure that they agree with your first surgeon in his assessment. i hope this helps.

Regards,

Daniel A. Medalie

Daniel A. Medalie, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction with a tummy tuck?

+1

Plastic surgeons are each quite different in their aesthetics and their approach.

In my own practice when I perform mommy makeover my specific goal is to help my patients achieve a sense of balance, top and bottom.

For example, if you have wider hips then you may wish to have an implant whose diameter is somewhat wider so that the curve under the arm balances the curve of the hip.  So even the implants can play a factor to contouring of the lower abdomen.

When I look at a patient's trunk for abdominoplasty I am always thinking about the contour of the hips.  I like to see that the hips have a nice contour.  If patients carry fatty fullness of the flanks I will offer them flank liposuction a time of their tummy tuck.  Some of my patients carry fatty fullness well around the back above the buttocks.  In these cases we perform posterior flank as well as frontal flank liposuction.  I think contouring of the hips and flanks tends to make the result of the tummy tuck look better.  I do not mind contouring the hips and flanks at the time of abdominoplasty surgery because these areas do not impact upon the blood supply or the healing of the tummy tuck.

Conversely , I do not perform liposuction of the upper abdomen when doing a tummy tuck.  While some doctors will liposuction the upper abdomen, lift, pull it and move it all look the same time I believe that the liposuction of the upper abdomen can significantly increase the risks of healing problems in the lower abdomen.  If I have a patient with upper abdominal fatty fullness I will generally recommend allowing the tummy tuck to heal and then suctioning the upper abdomen when the risk is much lower.

Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon and make sure that you're on the same page.  Your surgeon will not only have two balance your goals, but will also have to be sure that what your goals are can be safely accomplished.

Best wishes.  I hope that this answer his help you.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

I'll often stage liposuction til later

+1
I like to be aggressive when I lipo the abdomen and I'm reluctant to do it at the same time as a tummy tuck due to potential blood supply issues. I'll often suggest we do all the lipo as a "second go round". That way its one garment for all the lipo areas. Good luck.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

+1
Trust your surgeon.  Mommy Makeover is plenty of surgery for one setting.  Follow his post op instructions for a great recovery!  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Liposuction is commonly done with mommy makeover.

+1
Is impossible to say what you will look like proportionally speaking after mommy makeover surgery. If your surgeon feels uncomfortable doing concurrent liposuction it is best to do it At a separate operation.

Too much surgery at one time?

+1
If you question what your board certified plastic surgeon (BCPS) recommends, feel free to get another consultation with another BCPS.  But in general/generic terms, it is best not to try and do too much surgery at one time.  "Too much" may mean different things to different surgeons, but for me I generally abide by our national society's recommendation that more than a planned 6 hours of operating on a patient in an outpatient setting is pushing the envelope.  There are lots of positioning issues with adding arms and other liposuction to what is proposed for you, and all that positioning takes time.  Best to be safe.  Best of luck to you.

James E. Chappell, MD

+1
Online consultants, without the benefit of physical examination and/or photographs, will not be able to provide you with specific enough device to be really meaningful. Best to address your concerns with your plastic surgeon. Show him, in front of a full-length mirror, what your areas of concerns are.  It is okay to ask about the rationale behind recommendations made. Of course, safety of the planned procedures should be the first priority in everyone's minds. Best wishes.