I Have Olive Skin, Pigmentation Spots, Acne Scars and Large Pores. What Can I Do?

i have been told i cannot do any lasers as they could damage my skin because of my colouring, so what can i do? are there lasers that can treat olive skins without damaging the skin or creating patches?

Fractional resurfacing safe on darker skin

I use a variety of fractional and minimally invasive laser and energy therapies to correct discoloration, textural irregularity(such as enlarged pores), and acne scars.  The fractional Erbium or CO2 lasers can safely ablate pixels or dots into the skin so that new collagen formation is stimulated; this is safe even for olive skin tones.  Fractional non-ablative laser procedures like the Fraxel Restore 1550nm and/or Fraxel Dual 1927nm also stimulate collagen growth deep in the skin to help improve deep acne scars, and also fades brown discoloration/pigmentation.  There is always a risk of some temporary hyperpigmentation from any laser procedure resulting in inflammation (redness and swelling) of the skin, but the proper skincare regimen can address that temporary pigmentation in most cases. Sun protection is the key to getting your skin back to normal pigmentation (zinc based sunscreen is the most effective), as well as prescription acid creams and/or skin brighteners/lighteners. One of our favorite ways to improve superficial acne scarring and enlarged pores is with Venus Viva treatments, which delivers fractional radiofrequency in the superficial dermis.  Best results are seen after 3 sessions, but most of our patients can notice some improvement in the pores even after 1-2 sessions.  The Venus Viva comes with very little inflammation and recovery time.  Most patients are red only for a few hours, so the risk of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation even for darker skin tones is relatively low.  Again, the key is proper sun protection and sun avoidance. 

Ottawa Dermatologist

Acne Scar Improvement in Olive Skin

Unfortunately, you have received incorrect information.  It is possible to address all your concerns with lasers. In our practice, we safely use both Q-Switched YAG lasers and the Aramis Quantel laser on all skin types.  The Q-Switched YAG lasers will address hyperpigmentation and the Aramis improves texture and deceases pore size.  

A simple thing you can do now to help improve your scars and hyperpigmentation is wear sunscreen daily.  Most of our sun damage occurs while we are driving to work and going about our daily routines.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Extensive Subcison and Fraxel Repair Laser for Acne Scars

In the past it has been difficult to achieve 50% improvement.  With a new combined technique I am getting consistently over 75% improvement in  acne scars.  The single treatment consists of tumescent anesthesia, extensive subcison using a custom surgical intrument, a blending peel with either TCA or Laser, and Fraxel Repair laser treatment of the scarred areas.  

Mark B. Taylor, MD

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon