Olive Skin - IPL Burns

I am 40 with pigmentation due to sun damage from my teen years and hormonal changes due to pregnancy. It took 6 hours for the acute burning and redness to subside and I now have 7 stripes running from my ear to my nose and mouth, these are blistering and still incredibly painful after 24 hours. The treatment on my forehead is fine but both cheeks have these burns and stripes. I am continually applying aloe vera gel and cold compresses and taking paracetamol. Is there anything else I can do?

Blistering following IPL

+1

Blistering following IPL can occur especially in olive skin colored patients and this is indicative a superficial burn. The blisters will resolve with your current regimen, but you will likely be left with hyperpigmented stripes. These too will fade with time, but you should consider applying a bleaching cream to hyperpigmented areas once the blisters have faded. Contact your plastic surgeon for instructions.

Laguna Beach Plastic Surgeon

Burn from the IPL

+1

Without seeing you, it is impossible to treat you accurately, however it seems as though you may have a burn.  First, you should see the treating doctor to get his/her advice.  At times a cream called Silvadene can be used to soothe the skin and to promote healing.  You may expect to have some increased pigmentation in these areas after the skin heals.  In that case, your doctor may be able to prescribe an anti-inflammatory cream and/or a botanical serum to reduce hyperpigmentation safely.