Olive Oil for Acne Scars?

i did a chemical peel 70% glycolic and now i still have some acne and acne scars so before the chemical peel i used to apply olive oil and it made my scars lighter so now im wondering is it safe to apply it or not??

Re: Olive Oil For Acne Scars & A Larger View of Acne Scar Treatment

+1

Since you still have acne, I would advise that you not add more oil to your skin. Oil tends to trap debris which will block your pores.

It is important that you clear up your active acne before treating the scars.

If you are looking for a product that can assist with  removing scars, you may want to consider one that has retinoids (or retinol which is the milder, over the counter version). This will improve the rate of cell turnover.

However,  acne scars are collagen fibers that are created from a deeper skin layer called the dermis. So don’t just focus on the skin’s surface if you want to see significant improvement. 

Lasers like Fraxel Dual can reach below the skin to stimulate fibroblast cells that will produce normal collagen fibers. This will help fade the appearance of acne scars. 

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Probably not

+1

I am not sure there as any therapeutic benefit to olive oil.  I would imagine if you are in the early healing period, that that would be a bad idea.

Best regards,

Dr. Lane Smith

Lane Smith, MD