Do older women (60+) who have facelifts still need dermal filler injections after the surgery?

I am 60 years old and have dermal filler injections as needed. I am planning on having a facelift and wonder if I will still need to have these injections after the surgery.

Dermal fillers

+3
At your age you are probably a good candidate for a facelift.  Have the facelift first and then you can decide on whether fillers are also worthwhile.  You may be so pleased with the result from the facelift that you don't find that fillers are necessary.

Do older women (60+) who have facelifts still need dermal filler injections

+3
Dear Linda, thank you for your question.Facelift surgery can dramatically improve the cheeks, temple area, jawline, and neck. Consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon who can offer a variety of options. Filler injections fall under maintenance. Good Luck!

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dermal Fillers After a Facelift

+3
Dermal fillers and facelifts are really addressing different issues, and if you want to look your very best you will likely need to continue addressing your skin and volume loss even after a facelift.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

60 Year Old Patient Considering Facelift

+2
Aging is multifactorial and multidimensional.  Although the answer is somewhat subjective based on your tolerance for aging, facelift and fillers really have different results and endpoints.  However, if you have the signs of aging such as midface descent, jowls, and obliquity in your neck, facelift is the only procedure which will comprehensively address these problem.  Likewise, if you have such concerns addressed with a facelift, teh signs of aging addressed by fillers may be less of a priority for you.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Patients may or may not want fillers after a facelift.

+2
Most facelifts obviate the need for fillers. However is time passes there may be some contour issues that would benefit from the use of these adjunctive therapies.

Will I still need to use fillers after having a facelift?

+2
A facelift is very effective at repositioning the soft tissue in the face (SMAS) in it's more natural, youthful position. This provides nice definition to the jawline as well as the neck. A facelift does not add volume to the face. I now do fat transfer to the face in about 85% of my facelift patients because it provides such a natural, refreshed look to the mid face region and is a fantastic supplement. See the link below for before and after pictures.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Fillers after facelifting

+2
Surgical face and necklifting would help to shape the face and neck on a larger scale, while nonsurgical or minimally invasive procedures such as Botulinum injections, laser or chemical peels, fillers, and medical-grade skin care products would be used synergistically with surgery to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, age/sun spots, and volume loss. These minimally invasive treatments can be undertaken either before or after surgery. If performed before surgery, these treatments can provide enough rejuvenation for many patients to delay or avoid surgery. However, for patients wishing to pursue more dramatic rejuvenation, especially in cases where gravity or laxity plays more of a role in the aging issues, surgery is typically undertaken first to help set the foundation for the face and neck, and fillers and other minimally invasive treatments are performed afterward to treat and maintain areas not addressed by surgical lifting.

Thomas T. Le, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial fillers after Facelift Surgery

+2
Yes, getting dermal filler injections could be beneficial after facelift surgery. The goal of facelift surgery is to reposition the skin and tissue into a more youthful position. With age, in addition to the formation of wrinkles and sagging skin, hollowness often occurs. During facelift surgery, the surgeon may decide to transfer fat taken from an area such as the thighs and transfer it into the face for added volume. Another option would be to get filler injections using a product like Sculptra Aesthetic, Juvederm, Restylane or Perlane after surgery. These injections are not permanent so would need to be continued from time to time to maintain the desired effect. I suggest speaking with your surgeon prior to surgery to determine which option would work best for you. Good luck!

Paul L. Leong, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelifts and dermal fillers

+2
Dermal fillers are great but they do fade away at a substantial cost. It is best to do something more significant like a facelift! A couple of dermal filler sessions and you have the cost of a facelift which should significantly enhance ones appearance. Sometimes, if the patient desires, more dermal filler can be used around mouth area(smile lines) or lips but I try to use the patient's own tissue when I am performing a facelift to avoid this.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

+2
Yes, typically the facelift is to remove excess skin and rejuvenate the look.  The fillers, however, fill in the lines that you can't remove.  If you pulled the face so tight, the lines were removed...you would appear very artificial. Consider fillers as maintenance.