Do older women (60+) who have facelifts still need dermal filler injections after the surgery?

I am 60 years old and have dermal filler injections as needed. I am planning on having a facelift and wonder if I will still need to have these injections after the surgery.

Patients may or may not want fillers after a facelift.

+2
Most facelifts obviate the need for fillers. However is time passes there may be some contour issues that would benefit from the use of these adjunctive therapies.

Do older women (60+) who have facelifts still need dermal filler injections

+2
Dear Linda, thank you for your question.Facelift surgery can dramatically improve the cheeks, temple area, jawline, and neck. Consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon who can offer a variety of options. Filler injections fall under maintenance. Good Luck!

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dermal Fillers After a Facelift

+2
Dermal fillers and facelifts are really addressing different issues, and if you want to look your very best you will likely need to continue addressing your skin and volume loss even after a facelift.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Will I still need to use fillers after having a facelift?

+2
A facelift is very effective at repositioning the soft tissue in the face (SMAS) in it's more natural, youthful position. This provides nice definition to the jawline as well as the neck. A facelift does not add volume to the face. I now do fat transfer to the face in about 85% of my facelift patients because it provides such a natural, refreshed look to the mid face region and is a fantastic supplement. See the link below for before and after pictures.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Fillers after facelifting

+2
Surgical face and necklifting would help to shape the face and neck on a larger scale, while nonsurgical or minimally invasive procedures such as Botulinum injections, laser or chemical peels, fillers, and medical-grade skin care products would be used synergistically with surgery to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, age/sun spots, and volume loss. These minimally invasive treatments can be undertaken either before or after surgery. If performed before surgery, these treatments can provide enough rejuvenation for many patients to delay or avoid surgery. However, for patients wishing to pursue more dramatic rejuvenation, especially in cases where gravity or laxity plays more of a role in the aging issues, surgery is typically undertaken first to help set the foundation for the face and neck, and fillers and other minimally invasive treatments are performed afterward to treat and maintain areas not addressed by surgical lifting.

Thomas T. Le, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial fillers after Facelift Surgery

+2
Yes, getting dermal filler injections could be beneficial after facelift surgery. The goal of facelift surgery is to reposition the skin and tissue into a more youthful position. With age, in addition to the formation of wrinkles and sagging skin, hollowness often occurs. During facelift surgery, the surgeon may decide to transfer fat taken from an area such as the thighs and transfer it into the face for added volume. Another option would be to get filler injections using a product like Sculptra Aesthetic, Juvederm, Restylane or Perlane after surgery. These injections are not permanent so would need to be continued from time to time to maintain the desired effect. I suggest speaking with your surgeon prior to surgery to determine which option would work best for you. Good luck!

Paul L. Leong, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelifts and dermal fillers

+2
Dermal fillers are great but they do fade away at a substantial cost. It is best to do something more significant like a facelift! A couple of dermal filler sessions and you have the cost of a facelift which should significantly enhance ones appearance. Sometimes, if the patient desires, more dermal filler can be used around mouth area(smile lines) or lips but I try to use the patient's own tissue when I am performing a facelift to avoid this.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

+2
Yes, typically the facelift is to remove excess skin and rejuvenate the look.  The fillers, however, fill in the lines that you can't remove.  If you pulled the face so tight, the lines were removed...you would appear very artificial. Consider fillers as maintenance.

Feelers after a facelift

+2
Most likely you would still need fillers after a facelift.  Even though, facelift is the most effective facial rejuvenation procedure it does have some limitations.  Most notably, the front part of the cheek and the wrinkles around the mouth may see very little improvement with a facelift and would require additional treatment with filers or neuromodulators.  The good new is that, for most people, a facelift can significantly reduce the amount of feelers they would need, saving you quite a few trips to doctor's office.

Best wishes!

Konstantin Vasyukevich, MD

Dermal fillers needed after a facelift

+2
Dermal  fillers are used augment the cheek area, nasolabial folds and lips. A facelift will not accomplish those goals. A facelift his tightening up laxity of the skin in the face and neck, removing fatty deposits in the neck and tightening up the neck and facial muscles.
Cheek implants can be inserted at the same time as a facelift to prevent further dermal injections into the cheek area if needed when there  are flat cheeks present from a loss of volume in that area.
For many examples, please see the link below  to our face lift photo  gallery