Older Implant Changes and Mamography

I have a 22 year old saline implant on the left that has shifted toward the armpit in the last few years and recently I can feel more rippling/folding when I touch that breast. Not awful but I'm not pleased. Am also getting concerned (given the age of my implants and the condition of the left one) that they are more likely to rupture during mammography. Maybe time to change to a newer implant, especially since newer implants can probably withstand mammography better. Right?

Smaller implant better

+1

There is a new technqiue called Implant Exchange with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to exchange your implants for silicone gel placed retro-pectoral, reshape your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.  Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall gives maximum anterior projection with a minimal size implant.  Silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral look and feel more natural, are more stable long term, less likely to ripple or have complications needing revision.  Smaller implants withstand mammography better.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Web reference: http://www.horndeski.com/gallery.aspx

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Exchanging a saline for a gel implant - improved result with thin skin

+1

All of your concerns are valid.  The longer the implants are in place the more fragile the shell.  If you are palpating the edges of the implant it may be to thinning of the overlying tissues over the past years.  Consider a gel filled implant for an improved result.  

Mammography does not cause rupture of implants.

+1

If you're saline implant fails after mammography it means it was about to do so anyway. For aesthetic reasons if you want the implants replaced go ahead. Even though the implants are is oldest 20 years there's no indication to replace them simply because of age.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,13-atlanta-breast-augmentation.htm