Too Old for Revision Rhinoplasty?

I had a poor Rhinoplasty experience 7 years ago at age 50. I am considering Revision Rhinoplasty as the surgeon removed most of the cartilage in the tip of my nose and deepened the boney area high up between my eyes (my nose appears to be "hooked" from left side view), but am I perhaps too old to be considered a good revision candidate?

Too old for revision rhinoplasty?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Age alone is not a contraindication to a surgical procedure. There are a few medical comorbidities that contribute to a higher risk during any surgical procedure including infections, wound complications, delayed wound healing, bleeding, anesthetic risks, etc. Factors such as diabetes, hypertension, coronary artery disease, heart problems, lung problems, etc are more common in the elderly. However, if you are healthy, or these conditions are well-controlled, you would certainly still be a candidate for a surgical procedure. If your complaints or desires are great enough to consider the surgical option, I would seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss your complaints and go over the options as well as risks and benefits of the procedure.

You should obtain medical clearance from your primary care physician that you are at an acceptable risk for undergoing a surgical procedure. For elective or aesthetic procedures, your surgeon may want to get you to a reasonable health status prior to consideration for a procedure. Discuss all of your medical comorbidities and medication with your surgeon prior and discuss these risks. Also, discuss this with your anesthesiologist as proper monitoring and medications will be watched closely. This procedure should still be very safe for you and hope for an uncomplicated course with an excellent result! Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Yes

+1

As long as you are in good health you can have surgery. In regards to a revision, I would sit down with a board certified surgeon and have a detailed consultation. They will be able to tell you their unique apporach and provide answeres to your detailed answers. Best of luck to you!

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and age

+1

Revision rhinoplasty has more to do with the physical quality of the existing cartilage and nasal support than your chronologic age.  I would speak to a qualified surgeon. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Age has nothing to do with revision rhinoplasty

+1

Your age has no correlation with you being a candidate for revision rhinoplasty surgery.  From a surgery standpoint, the factors that affect how good a candidate you are include your medical history, any cardiac problems, etc.  Secondly as a revision candidate, your surgeon should create a surgical game plan and then decide if you are healthy enough to undergo that game plan with room in the game plan for eventualities.  Lets say the surgeon thinks that you need rib cartilage.  The question is then if your health allows you to undergo anesthesia to undergo such a procedure.  Your age has no correlation to how well you will heal, etc.

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

No absolute age limit for revision rhinoplasty

+1

There is no strict age limit to undergo revision rhinoplasty. The main issue is your baseline health to undergo anesthesia.  If the underlying structure of the nose was weakened you may require cartilage grafting. Septal, ear or rib cartilage are typical sources of grafting material. Rib cartilage calcifies over time making it difficult to use in patients in their 50s and older. I would certainly recommend finding a surgeon who has extensive experience in revision rhinoplasty who can then assess what level of repair is indicated.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Revision Rhinoplasty and Age

+1

There is no age limit to revision rhinoplasty as long as you are in good health to undergo a surgical procedure. I have performed revision rhinoplasty on patients in there 60s. 

There are some considerations that your surgeon may take into account with age, such as the availability of useable cartilage for surgery.   Visit with an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon and review your concerns with them. Be sure to see before and after photographs that are similar to the concerns that you have. Revision rhinoplasty can be an extremely gratifying experience for both the patient and the surgeon.

Jacob D. Steiger, MD
Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

You are NOT too old for revision rhinoplasty

+1

As long as you are in good healthy, you are not too old for a revision rhinoplasty. Before having surgery, you should have a medical evaluation by your internist or family doctor to ensure that surgery would be safe. When revision rhinoplasty is preformed by a highly skilled surgeon, you should have an excellent outcome no matter what your age. 

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Is Age a Limit for Revision Tip Rhinoplasty?

+1

There is no definitive age limit in terms of having a revision rhinoplasty procedure. If you are generally in good health and have been cleared by your primary physician to have an anesthetic, you should have an opportunity to have a revision rhinoplasty if your nose bothers you. I have operated on plenty of women that are contemporaries of you with very satisfying outcomes. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Not too old for revision Rhinoplasty

+1

In short, you are not too old for revision rhinoplasty.  In my experience the patients with sub-par results after rhinoplasty are quite bothered by their nasal appearance, as you age your concerns with your nasal appearance do not diminish.  Age is not a factor, as long as you are in decent health.

In my practice I see a number of patients in their 50's and 60's that are about to undergo some type of facial rejuvenation surgery who at the same time have primary or revision rhinoplasty.  The surgical results in this age group are excellent, despite their age.  As you probably have learned by now rhinoplasty is one of the more difficult procedures for a surgeon to master.  It is imperative that an experienced and talented surgeon thoroughly assess the patient's facial anatomy and proportions, only then an appropriate surgical approach can be planned. The goals is to create a beautiful nose with nice proportions that fits that particular face. In my practice we offer computer imaging to our prospective rhinoplasty patients, so that the goals and aspirations of the patients can be communicated. Of course not all surgeons that can created changes on the computer can produce those changes in the operating room. Pick you rhinoplasty surgeon carefully.

You might find it insightful to read my article "The Art of Sculpting the Nose" which can be found on my web site under "publications"

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty - Patient Age Factor

+1

As other rhinoplasty surgeons have already stated, age is not an absolute deciding factor for primary or revision rhinoplasty surgery. Overall physical health is a much more important factor than chronological age.

A plastic surgeon not only will evaluate your nose and face anatomically, but will also review your medical history, and interview you to help determine if you are an appropriate rhinoplasty candidate. Only after speaking with a plastic surgeon specializing in facial cosmetic surgery can he/she advise you on your cosmetic options. Best of luck.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon