Treatment for Red, Flat Burn Scar?

I have a 7-year-old burn scar on my arm. It's red in color but not raised beyond its original borders. Is there treatment for this and what are approximate costs? I live in the Ann Arbor, MI area.

Treatment Options for Burn Scars - Brown & Red

+1
It's not clear how recent the burn occurred, but most burns scars that are red in appearance will gradually fade with diligent sunscreen use.  Being that your son is quite young, many practitioners may want to take a wait and see approach.  If a pracitioners determines he condition, maturity level, and skin type are appropriate for lasers, we recommend the pulsed dye laser.  In our practice, we use the VSTAR laser for these conditions with excellent outcomes.  Please visit the below link for before/after photos and more information. Regardless of your decision, the use of sunscreen on a daily basis will be a great starting point.

Treatment for red burn scar

+1

If there is a blood vessel component responsible for the red appearance of the scar, the appearance of the scar may improve with vascular laser/light therapies including the pulsed-dye laser and IPL (Intense pulsed light). I would check with board certified plastic surgeons and dermatologists in your area for a face-to-face evaluation pricing. Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist