Do Round Sientra and Mentor Implants Post Op Results Looks Any Different? (photo)

im looking into getting a revision to go bigger but i don't know if i should change my sientra implants to mentor implants to get a more rounder upper pole look i've seen many post op photos and i see women that have mentor implants have a rounder upper pole look than sientra implants do is this true? and what size do you think i should get if i want this look? [goal photo attatched] height 5"3 weight 100-105lbs pre op 34A BWD 13cm ribcage 29" current 355cc's sientra round smooth HP silicone

Implants for Upper Pole Fullness

+1
Hi Pam, thanks for your question. Both Sientra and Mentor offer a range of profiles (projections) in their round silicone gel implants. The upper pole fullness you desire should be attainable with either brand, it's just a matter of selecting the right combination of characteristics - size, profile, and placement. Whether you choose Sientra or Mentor implants is not as important as choosing an excellent, board-certified plastic surgeon with plenty of experience with breast implant revision. He or she will help you to choose the best implant for your body and your goals. Good luck!

Irvine Plastic Surgeon

Sientra vs. Mentor Implant Post-op Look

+1
This is an interesting question. I know that if it was posed at a national meeting like the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery you would get myriad answers. Some would say leave things alone. Some would say make the switch you are thinking about. Many others would give you differing opinions about implant choice and size from one company or another.

To keep it simple, let's stay with Sientra and review your options. With a breast diameter of 13 cm some surgeons would say that you are where you should be in terms of shaped implants from Sientra. But they do make bigger round smooth and textured implants that would work well in terms of giving you a larger breast with a fuller look up the top. The Sientra high profile round implant product line has two implants with a diameter around 13 cm and the volumes are 495 cc and 545 cc. I would think that either of these implants would result in your goal look.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Look of Mentor and Sientra Implants

+1
I have been offering Sientra implants for over 9 months.  I do not believe there is any major difference in how they look unless you have the Sientra anatomic-shaped implants which would give you less upper fullness.  I offer them and use them predominantly because of the lower rupture rate when compared to the other companies rates and lower risk of capsular contracture with the Sientra textured implant.

Robert J. Spies, MD
Paradise Valley Plastic Surgeon

Sientra shaped implants help avoid the rounded upper pole 'look'

+1
If you are looking for a rounder upper pole, I don't think a Sientra anatomic implant would be a good choice for you - they distribute most of their volume to the lower breast pole.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Sientra vs Mentor

+1

There are predominantly three breast implant manufacturers.  Each has a dimension associated with the number of cc in their breast implants.  I usually sized patient's based on breast width, skin quality and assessing their expectations.  Some surgeons are comfortable with 1 manufacturer because they know how the implant behaves both in the short-term and in the long-term.  I am not sure it makes a difference which implant manufacturer you choose but more important that your surgeon is comfortable with using that type of implant. hope this helps!

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Size

+1

Very hard to advise via the internet. But I would use UHP Mentors as a choice in the 450 cc range. But again hard to advise via the net. 

Implant differences

+1

I think in general the implants are similar with minor differences that you probably will not notice after they are inside the pocket.

Mentor versus Sientra Round Implants

+1

Dear Pam91,  The most important part of choosing a breast implant to obtain a particular "look" for a patient is to very carefully examine the patient and determine her unique shape and dimensions.  Based on these measurements and observations, the plastic surgeon then chooses which implant type(saline/silicone/cohesive), implant shape(round/teardrop), and implant projection(low/moderate/high/extra-high) would be best  for achieving that desired outcome.  The least important factor is the manufacture of the particular device since all three implant manufacturers do produce similar products.   The exception would be the Naturelle(Allergan) Style 410 implants which in some of their shapes and sizes are unique.

A second consultation with your plastic surgeon may be helpful especially if you can also bring in photos with the results you desire to achieve.  It is very important however that you realize that because every woman's breasts are different, you may not be able to precisely match the goal image you desire.  This is a great point to discuss with your plastic surgeon.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Changing from Sientra to Mentor breast implants

+1

All of the breast implant manufacturers that make round implants available in the US are basically the same with only minor differences from company to company.  I would not expect that there would be any drastic change expected switching from Sientra to Mentor as long as the volumes, base diameters and projection are relatively the same. 

Achieving Rounder Upper Pole Look with Revisionary Breast Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture. Having used all 3 manufacturer's implants I have not noticed a clinical difference in the outcome of breast augmentation surgery  depending on manufacturer of breast implant. I think that more important than the specific manufacturer of the breast implant will be factors such as careful selection of breast implant size/profile and appropriately placed ( breast implant pocket adjustment if necessary)  breast implant  pockets on the chest wall.

I would suggest careful communication of your goals with your plastic surgeon. In my practice, I would ask that you use goal pictures during this communication process. Show your plastic surgeon what you mean by “rounder upper pole look”.  You may find the attached link helpful to you.