Do Round Sientra and Mentor Implants Post Op Results Looks Any Different? (photo)

im looking into getting a revision to go bigger but i don't know if i should change my sientra implants to mentor implants to get a more rounder upper pole look i've seen many post op photos and i see women that have mentor implants have a rounder upper pole look than sientra implants do is this true? and what size do you think i should get if i want this look? [goal photo attatched] height 5"3 weight 100-105lbs pre op 34A BWD 13cm ribcage 29" current 355cc's sientra round smooth HP silicone

Do Round Sientra and Mentor Implants Post Op Results Looks Any Different?

You state that you are looking for a rounder upper pole of the breast and are wondering whether Mentor round implants will give you more upper pole fullness than a Sientra round implant.  The answer is no.  Upper pole fullness can be achieved by either implant.  It is a factor determined by how large the implant is for YOUR available tissue (in other words, the tighter your tissue is around the implant, the more upper pole fullness you will see), and the shape of the implant (round implants from either company tend to produce more upper pole fullness than shaped implants, unless the round implants are small in relation to the patient's tissues and thus not tight in the pocket). You do not show a photo of your current result, but if you want a result with more upper pole fullness, as in the "goal" photo you show, then your surgeon must use a larger implant, but it is important that the implant width not exceed your breast width or you may develop problems in the future.

Look of Mentor and Sientra Implants

I have been offering Sientra implants for over 9 months.  I do not believe there is any major difference in how they look unless you have the Sientra anatomic-shaped implants which would give you less upper fullness.  I offer them and use them predominantly because of the lower rupture rate when compared to the other companies rates and lower risk of capsular contracture with the Sientra textured implant.

Robert J. Spies, MD
Paradise Valley Plastic Surgeon

Sientra shaped implants help avoid the rounded upper pole 'look'

If you are looking for a rounder upper pole, I don't think a Sientra anatomic implant would be a good choice for you - they distribute most of their volume to the lower breast pole.

Sientra vs. Mentor round implants

As long as you compare like to like, the appearance will be the same. In other words, it has to be the same volume and projection (moderate plus to moderate plus, high to high). Aside from that, the main thing I have noticed with the Sientra implant, is less rippling, even though rippling is not common with any silicone implant. The Sientra round implant is the only one with the 5th generation highly cohesive silicone, a true gummy bear round implant. Both manufacturers make a nice implant.

This information is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for a consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Ultra High Profile

One thing that mentor has on sientra is that they make bigger narrower implants. The UHP or ultra high profile mentor implants will give you the most "augmented" look. This means the most fullness in the upper part of the breast.
For a breast width of 13 you really actually could have a high profile sientra implant around 435, 465 or 495cc. But there's nothing more projecting than the UHP implants from mentor. Depending on your sizing goals (Do sizing in the clinic with your doctor!) you can go as high as 650cc with the mentor implants! I wouldn't recommend that per se, but it's all about YOUR goals.

Sientra vs Mentor

Sientra, Mentor, and Allergan all produce very high quality implants that are FDA approved in the United States.  It is possible to achieve very similar results in terms of shape with each company.  There are differences in the texture of the gel between companies, and minor differences in the shapes and sizes offered.  Your desire for upper pole fullness is achievable with any of these companies.  

Without seeing preop photos and performing an examination it is difficult to recommend a size and style of implant, but I would consider a moderate plus profile as sometimes the wider base diameter provides more upper pole fullness.

Jeremiah Redstone, MD

Sientra vs Mentor

The answer to your question is no, there really isn't any difference in the shape between manufacturers as long as you are comparing similar implants. For example, both companies make smooth round high profile implants that look very similar. We can expect very similar results in any given patient.

Ben Lee, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Sientra breast implants in Los Angeles

There are small variations in breast implant dimensions, but for the most part, you can get the same breast contour and volume with each. The difference is mainly in the viscosity of the implant gel.

Dr. Karamanoukian

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Implant projection

Upper pole fullness may be achieved by increasing implant profile and/or size, changing implant texture, or possibly changing pocket.  When looking at post-op photos, make sure you are looking at 3-6 months post op as oftentimes implants sit a little higher than drop in the pocket created over time.  Also, make sure the pre-op photos are similar.  This has significant impact on the final result.  You have to make sure the diameter of the implant selected fits your chest or you can run into a complication known as synmastia or "uni-boob."  Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that is well versed in breast implant revisions. 

Sientra Breast Implants

Hi Pam,
I use both Sientra and Mentor, depending on the characteristics of each patient.  Personally I can't tell the difference between the two implants postop.  I couldn't begin to tell from photos who had which.  You would be operated for revisional surgery, so many factors come into play.  I would simply prioritize dimensional analysis as is discueed by Dr. Smith, below.  The specific characteristics of what you require would be most important. All the best in your quest, "Dr. Joe"