Do Round Sientra and Mentor Implants Post Op Results Looks Any Different? (photo)

im looking into getting a revision to go bigger but i don't know if i should change my sientra implants to mentor implants to get a more rounder upper pole look i've seen many post op photos and i see women that have mentor implants have a rounder upper pole look than sientra implants do is this true? and what size do you think i should get if i want this look? [goal photo attatched] height 5"3 weight 100-105lbs pre op 34A BWD 13cm ribcage 29" current 355cc's sientra round smooth HP silicone

Implant projection

+1
Upper pole fullness may be achieved by increasing implant profile and/or size, changing implant texture, or possibly changing pocket.  When looking at post-op photos, make sure you are looking at 3-6 months post op as oftentimes implants sit a little higher than drop in the pocket created over time.  Also, make sure the pre-op photos are similar.  This has significant impact on the final result.  You have to make sure the diameter of the implant selected fits your chest or you can run into a complication known as synmastia or "uni-boob."  Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that is well versed in breast implant revisions. 

Do Round Sientra and Mentor Implants Post Op Results Looks Any Different?

+1
You state that you are looking for a rounder upper pole of the breast and are wondering whether Mentor round implants will give you more upper pole fullness than a Sientra round implant.  The answer is no.  Upper pole fullness can be achieved by either implant.  It is a factor determined by how large the implant is for YOUR available tissue (in other words, the tighter your tissue is around the implant, the more upper pole fullness you will see), and the shape of the implant (round implants from either company tend to produce more upper pole fullness than shaped implants, unless the round implants are small in relation to the patient's tissues and thus not tight in the pocket). You do not show a photo of your current result, but if you want a result with more upper pole fullness, as in the "goal" photo you show, then your surgeon must use a larger implant, but it is important that the implant width not exceed your breast width or you may develop problems in the future.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Sientra Breast Implants

+1
Hi Pam,
I use both Sientra and Mentor, depending on the characteristics of each patient.  Personally I can't tell the difference between the two implants postop.  I couldn't begin to tell from photos who had which.  You would be operated for revisional surgery, so many factors come into play.  I would simply prioritize dimensional analysis as is discueed by Dr. Smith, below.  The specific characteristics of what you require would be most important. All the best in your quest, "Dr. Joe"

Joe Gryskiewicz, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Implants for Upper Pole Fullness

+1
Hi Pam, thanks for your question. Both Sientra and Mentor offer a range of profiles (projections) in their round silicone gel implants. The upper pole fullness you desire should be attainable with either brand, it's just a matter of selecting the right combination of characteristics - size, profile, and placement. Whether you choose Sientra or Mentor implants is not as important as choosing an excellent, board-certified plastic surgeon with plenty of experience with breast implant revision. He or she will help you to choose the best implant for your body and your goals. Good luck!

Andrew Smith, MD, FACS
Irvine Plastic Surgeon

Sientra vs. Mentor Implant Post-op Look

+1
This is an interesting question. I know that if it was posed at a national meeting like the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery you would get myriad answers. Some would say leave things alone. Some would say make the switch you are thinking about. Many others would give you differing opinions about implant choice and size from one company or another.

To keep it simple, let's stay with Sientra and review your options. With a breast diameter of 13 cm some surgeons would say that you are where you should be in terms of shaped implants from Sientra. But they do make bigger round smooth and textured implants that would work well in terms of giving you a larger breast with a fuller look up the top. The Sientra high profile round implant product line has two implants with a diameter around 13 cm and the volumes are 495 cc and 545 cc. I would think that either of these implants would result in your goal look.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Look of Mentor and Sientra Implants

+1
I have been offering Sientra implants for over 9 months.  I do not believe there is any major difference in how they look unless you have the Sientra anatomic-shaped implants which would give you less upper fullness.  I offer them and use them predominantly because of the lower rupture rate when compared to the other companies rates and lower risk of capsular contracture with the Sientra textured implant.

Robert J. Spies, MD
Paradise Valley Plastic Surgeon

Sientra shaped implants help avoid the rounded upper pole 'look'

+1
If you are looking for a rounder upper pole, I don't think a Sientra anatomic implant would be a good choice for you - they distribute most of their volume to the lower breast pole.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Sientra vs Mentor

+1

There are predominantly three breast implant manufacturers.  Each has a dimension associated with the number of cc in their breast implants.  I usually sized patient's based on breast width, skin quality and assessing their expectations.  Some surgeons are comfortable with 1 manufacturer because they know how the implant behaves both in the short-term and in the long-term.  I am not sure it makes a difference which implant manufacturer you choose but more important that your surgeon is comfortable with using that type of implant. hope this helps!

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Size

+1

Very hard to advise via the internet. But I would use UHP Mentors as a choice in the 450 cc range. But again hard to advise via the net. 

Implant differences

+1

I think in general the implants are similar with minor differences that you probably will not notice after they are inside the pocket.